Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Visit from Grandma and Grandpa Ricks

This past week, I haven't gotten much posted because we had my parents come into town for a visit. We were all so excited to have them here for the first time since we moved here last summer. They timed their visit so they could be here for Tessa's baptism.

They arrived on Tuesday, June 23. I had quite the day that day since I accidentally went to the airport twice. I didn't look at their itinerary carefully enough. I quickly scanned it over and looked for the arrival time. Dumb me...I showed up in Nashville at 6:08pm (the time they arrived in Denver). After waiting 45 minutes and trying to figure out where they were, I made some phone calls and realized that 6:08pm was their arrival time in Denver,(where they changed planes) and they weren't arriving in Nashville until around 11pm. So, I went back home, ate, relaxed for a little while and headed back to the airport. Poor Jarem was with me the first time and was so excited to see them. He was pretty disappointed when we had to go back home without them and I didn't let him go the second time because it was so late. Jesikah went with me the second time, and it probably wasn't the best idea since she was very ornery the following day. But, we had no trouble finding them the second time and got back safely.

We tried to take them a few places each day, but didn't want to give them heat stroke or anything. We showed them around Clarksville, went to the riverwalk and saw a free movie. It seemed that we had to find ice cream everyday because it was so hot. The kids kept begging to go swimming, but Grandpa forgot his swimming suit. :)

On Friday, Eric was off work and we were planning to go to Nashville and see the Opryland Hotel and Museum, but the day started off cloudy, so it seemed like it was going to be a cooler day. After much discussion and deliberation, we decided to head to Fort Donelson instead since we'd never been there and heard good things about it.

On our way there, the sun had come out, by the time we got there, it was VERY hot and humid. It turned out to be the 2nd hottest day of the month getting up to 93. (probably not the best day to be outside afterall). Oh well! We checked out the visitor's center and watched a video and then took the driving tour. Everytime we got out to look at something, the kids complained of the heat. I have to admit though, it really was hot.

Just before leaving to Fort Donelson. Alex is in a good spot between Grandma and Grandpa...he was very well behaved. However, those three little munchkins in the back did their share of fighting in the car on the way.

Alex and Jarem next to one of the cannons

Our family next to a cannon in the museum


The kids with Grandma and Grandpa Ricks


A memorial for the confederate soldiers that fought and died here. The confederate soldiers were not allowed to be buried in the National Cemetery because they were fighting against the United States.


Alex, Tessa, and Jesikah inside a little log cabin that was used to house the soldiers while they were building the fort over the winter.


My mom fit in the doorway of the little cabin perfectly.


Grandma and the girls


Some of the water batteries that protected from water invasion


More water batteries on the opposite up on the ledge there


The hotel where the negotiations and surrender was made between General Buckner and General Ulysses S. Grant. Buckner surrendered to Grant which surrender was a key turning point for the Union and instrumental in Grant later becoming the 18th president of the United States.
We had a little quiz on the way home to see what everyone learned and to keep them from fighting. I admit it was better than the way there, but still not perfect. Nonetheless, I think everyone learned something.
On the way back to Clarksville, we stopped at a great southern authentic BBQ place called Rick's BBQ (thanks for the recommendation Loren). The food was great and the chocolate chess pie too. I'd never tasted chess pie before. We also had to stop at the coin shop as well. Eric and my Dad like looking at collector coins. We were going to head out to Nashville that evening with just the adults, but the heat had really worn us out, so we just stayed home.

5 comments:

6L's said...

mmm, if that's the excell rd gas station bbq you're talking about...love it!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip to take! That makes me laugh about you going to the airport twice, that's totally something I would do!

Tami said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. How nice that you have fun sites to visit that are close by.

Susan said...

I am hoping the weather cools a bit before we get there, but I'm sure it will be hotter. Oh no, I'm going to melt! I'm so glad you have central air. Sounds like they had a great time, even in the heat & humidity. By the way, you only have to come pick us up from the airport once ;) Good thing our flight is non-stop.

Nadia said...

Glad that other people's kids fight in the car too, but what do you do because we definitely can't stay home all the time! I'm hoping that it will improve with age.