Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I think Eric has had a good Father's Day today. He started out the day with breakfast in bed even though he'd already showered and gotten ready for church.

Jesikah loves to make breakfast in bed for people on special days. Usually Eric or I help her, but last night, she talked to me about it and she really wanted to do it on her own this time. She found a recipe in her Better Homes and Gardens For Kids cookbook (by the way, all the recipes we've tried in there have been excellent...I'd highly recommend it) for french toast and she decided that's what she would do. She was a little nervous, so I told her that she could come and get me at anytime if she needed anything. She got everything ready and set her alarm and did it 100% herself this morning! I didn't even go down. I was SO proud of her...and even more...they turned out PERFECT and were very yummy!! (I think I might start using her recipe). :)

Jesikah and Eric with her gift and breakfast

It looked very appetizing...french toast with bananas and syrup on the side

She also made him a gift. It is a stuffed gator that she made herself out of felt, batting, and hot glue. She knows that Eric loves the Florida Gators, so it's orange on the back for the Gators.


Close-up of the Gator...she was pretty excited about her gift. Alex and Tessa made him cards too. Jarem gave him his card last week. The kids sang some Father's day songs for him at church. I think it was more meaningful to them this time because I practiced with them all week at home so they would know them really well. Even Jarem knew the words and they were so excited to sing it for him.

Father's Day dinner...steak, lobster tail, homemade rice-a-roni and veggies...(Eric was the only one who got the lobster tail but the rest of us had everything else.) We had homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert with chocolate and bananas which ended up a bit soft, but was delicious anyway. (we ran out of ice) Eric said it was the best Father's Day dinner he's had.

Everyone enjoying their dinner.


Eric with Jesikah and Jarem

I'm so thankful today for the good dad that Eric is to our children. He has been there for each of them since the day they were born. He started reading stories to Alex the day after he came home from the hospital. He has loved, cuddled, changed diapers, comforted and helped them every day since. He has built things for them and spent time with them each individually on special outings. He teaches them the gospel and about life. He is a hard worker and he always tries to be a good example to them. He shows them how to treat their mother by always respecting and loving me. He brings a good sense of humor to our home as well. Thank you Eric, for so many things you do for our children. It makes me love you even more when I see tender moments between you and them. I love you...thanks for being a great husband and father.

I'm also thankful for the good dad that I have. He taught me so many things that I use everyday. I appreciate him teaching me the value of hard work. He was a very hard worker and we always knew that we might feel like we had a lot to do, but he was always working harder. I also appreciate the fact that he didn't always make my decisions for me, but quite often let me decide for myself and learn things the hard way. Sometimes, it takes that for me to learn something. :) I know I could be very stubborn at times, so I appreciate him hanging in there.

I feel very blessed today to have a good father and to have a husband who is a good father to our children! I certainly wouldn't be grateful if I didn't thank the Lord for the good men in my life today.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, yes, I do still want the clothes--we'll be going down there again in a few weeks. Do you still have the girls' clothes? Thanks!

6L's said...

what a good man he is! loren really admires eric and is learning alot from him. that is a fabulous dinner y'all made and wow, the breakfast! tell her she can come cook for us any morning, lol!

Anonymous said...

yAy! Happy father's day! Your kids are so creative...where do they get their creativity from? Both of you i bet :)

RyanJohnsonFamily said...

Way to go Jessikah. I am so impressed. Connor had a blast with Jarem too. He still calls your old house "Jarem's house"...I let him rid his bike that far before turning back if I am still at our house.:)