Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Walking

For many years, my mom has gotten up each morning around 5am to walk or exercise, and I think she still does.  Especially as a teenager, I always thought she was crazy to CHOOSE to exercise that time of morning.  I have never been an early morning exerciser.  I never thought I would do the same, but here I am eating my words once again.  Like so many things my parents did that I swore I would never do, once again, I am following in their footsteps. In fact, I decided some time ago, that isn't a bad thing.  I now believe that the more I become like them, the more I will be headed in the right direction.  Isn't it funny how things change over time.  Now I am the one with teenagers who are making a mental list of all the things that I do in which they WILL NOT do as parents.  And, my own kids are the ones who think I am crazy for getting up at 5:20am in the SUMMER!

So getting to the point, I have been walking with my good friend, Priya, every morning at 5:30am since summer break started. I don't love getting up early, but that is the only time of day that it is bareable to be outside exercising in the summer here. And believe it or not, I have found it to be quite refreshing and great fun to chat with Priya each morning.  In fact, I have found that I have time to walk, do Pilates, and study my scriptures before the kids wake up.  It has really started my days out nicely and I hope to continue the habit.  Thank you, Priya!  It was her idea, and I am glad I decided to jump onboard.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you! April W and I walk at 7am MWF. I don't think I could do 5:30!

Carroll Family said...

I really should........... It's the 5 am that gets me.

6L's said...

i'm in awe! i don't ever want to see the light of day that early!! ;) loren swears to me that it's the best time of day when the sun is rising....i'll take his word for it! i always think to myself how much i could get done if i got up before the kids, but i've always been a night owl and don't crawl out of bed until i absolutely HAVE TO. i've been known to get out the door with all 4 kids in under 10 minutes from wake to driving (yes, i know it shows. :) i get nothing accomplished at night except "me" time. you are creating a GREAT habit! very awesome!! i am proud of you and beverly!

Susan said...

Oh, I wish I was there to walk with you, too!

The Scarths said...

I also used to get up to go to the gym before work each morning, and I agree that I did not like to get up, but it was really the only time I would actually "do it" otherwise something would always come up and interfere.