Friday, June 17, 2011

Lyme Disease?

The morning after Tessa's birthday campout last weekend, I found some sort of bug bite on my lower torso(belly area).  It started out as a small bite (but not like a mosquito bite). After a couple of days, it started to develop this lighter red defined circle around it.  It didn't really itch (except when my shirt would brush against it) or hurt, so I was just waiting it out until it went away.  About Wednesday, I showed Eric this weird bite, and he said, "It looks like Lyme disease".  I thought he was joking at first and just brushed it off, but after he went to work, I started to wonder so I googled, "Lyme disease".  Sure enough, you do develop this bullseye type rash (often without any other symptoms) if you have been bitten by an infected tick.  The deer tick (which is the one that carries Lyme disease) only gets as large as a sesame seed, but often are as small as a poppy seed, so it is likely that I wouldn't even know it was a tick. 

I went to the doctor today, and they said there is a good possibility it is Lyme Disease.  They drew my blood, but I won't have the lab results back for 7-10 days.  Regardless though, they gave me an antibiotic to get rid of it in the meantime.  The good news: Lyme disease is completely treatable with antibiotics when caught in the beginning stages.  If not treated though, the rash eventually goes away, and then the advanced stage of the disease can come back months or years later.  That is when it is a big deal, so if you were worried, don't be. :) ...I won't be writing my will quite yet. :)



This one is just to show the well-defined edges which are hard to see in the other one.

4 comments:

6L's said...

we were JUST talkign about this at eva's wild food class wedensday. you can use plantain and pull the disease right out!

Susan said...

Wow, glad your hubby is knowledgeable and you got it taken care of early.

Anonymous said...

wow that's pretty insane. You always have the most interesting experiences living in the south/midwest :)

The Scarths said...

yikes! Glad you caught it early!