Saturday, March 29, 2014

Mission Call!!!

We received Alex's mission call around 11:00am on Saturday morning at the hotel.  We were all very excited and anxious!  We were planning to meet my parents and my two brothers and their families for the "opening of the call" at Temple Square in Salt Lake.  As soon as we got there, Alex was ready to open it! We found a pretty location by a fountain and we gathered around while he read it aloud!  He was called to the Salt Lake City-East mission reporting to the MTC June 11th!!  It was exciting to finally know where he will be spending the next two years.  I am relieved to know that he won't be too far away, and I have lots of extended family closeby if something happened and I couldn't get to him.

After he opened the call, I suspected that he might be a little disappointed.  Most missionaries have a secret desire to serve somewhere foreign and I was afraid Salt Lake East may seem too ordinary to him.  When I had spoken with him before opening the call, I asked him if there was anywhere he would be disappointed to go.  He said..."the Nashville TN mission" (since that is the mission we live in).  Truth be known, he was surprised, but happy to serve anywhere.  He loves the West and always has.  The only thing that bothered him is having to tell people he is going to Salt Lake and having them go, "Oh".  What got him even more excited was the fact that he has a good girl friend who used to be in our ward currently serving in that mission.  One of his best guy friends is serving in the Salt Lake-West mission.  He was able to get in contact with both of them through email, and they both LOVE their missions.  When they told him all the great things about the mission, he was getting more and more excited!  Oddly, the last missionary that left from our ward went to the exact same mission just a couple of months ago, so he will know him as well.

In his own words, he is "eager to serve the Lord".  And that is absolutely true.  He can't wait!!

As we sat in church the next day in Utah, I looked over the ward bulletin and their ward has a missionary serving in OUR mission in Tennessee.  I thought, "We send ours to them and they send theirs to us."

We are very proud of his worthiness and desire to teach the gospel.  He is a great boy and will be a wonderful missionary.





2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad that Alex is excited about his mission spot. I can't believe he is old enough to go! I still think of him as a little kid. I am sure he will do great!

Nikki said...

Love the photos that go with the moment! June 11th is quick!! So happy for him.