Saturday, March 1, 2014

Amaryllis

My Grandma Dayley passed away in December. She had a gift for gardening and growing things. For years, each December she planted an Amaryllis to bloom in her house for Christmas.  As my mom cleaned out her apartment the afternoon after she passed away, she found the Amaryllis she had given her. It had only grown leaves to that point and grandma had been disappointed. As my mom lifted the Amaryllis to take it home, she saw the tip of a bud emerging. She knew at that point that grandma was "budding in a new life". My mom shared this as part of her funeral talk. 

As a remembrance of my grandma, my parents gave each of their 7 children an Amaryllis bulb from ones they had been nurturing. We have each shown our Amaryllis' progression through group texts. Here are some pictures of mine.  
Leaves in middle, bud on left
I was so excited the day I noticed that my Amaryllis was getting a second bud!!!  Usually they only get one. 
The first bud opening...I thought it may be pink. 
But, it was a red beauty. 
Four huge flowers came out of that bud. 
View from top. Last one hadn't opened yet. 

First bud almost finished blooming. Second bud opening. 
This poor flower fell off when the whole plant tipped over on the table the night before last. It has become too top heavy.  I was sad cause it had barely opened up. Anyway, we are keeping it in a bowl with water so we can still enjoy it. 

Our family has really enjoyed watching the growth of this flower daily. It has brought excitement each morning as it has grown and changed. I am excited to remember my grandma as I replant this bulb each year. 

1 comment:

David & Viola Ricks said...

Every bulb bloomed. What a great remembrance of grandma. The red is striking with the huge blossoms.