Friday, June 29, 2012

More of Idaho...CSI and Planetarium Thursday

On Thursday, our 2nd full day in Idaho, we went to visit the College of Southern Idaho(CSI)art and history museum and exhibits. I thought it was quite fascinating. My favorite part was the mammoth. That thing was HUGE! I guess I didn't realize how big they really were. This was a full replica of the skeleton found in Utah. I found it very interesting to read about the mammoths and where they had been found. After some browsing around the exhibits for awhile, we went outside and ate our sack lunches under some shade. It was a beautiful day. It made me miss the cooler temperatures of Idaho! We had a great lunch and rest and then headed back in for a show on stars in the planetarium. I have always been interested in stars and constellations, so I really enjoyed the show. I especially enjoyed the part where the director showed us the night sky that night and pointed out stars and constellations we could find and how to locate them in relation to other things. I think it was the next night that some of us found those constellations. That was fun! And the kids and I have looked a few times since too! After heading back to the campsite, we made a dinner of spaghetti. We had a great time socializing, swimming, and just sitting around the campfire! We brought three small tents. The girls both took one each and slept with their cousin friend. Alex and Jarem wanted to sleep in the big dome.
Tessa and cousin Kadie outside the Museum at CSI
The huge mammoth in the museum

Katie next to the mammoth just to give an idea of the size
Apparently Alex wasn't as interested in the museum as the rest of us
Jesikah and Hayley fascinated yet grossed out by mammoth dung
Another picture with the dung
<><><><><><>
</></></></></></>
Painting of Shoshone Falls: a very good depiction I thought

Twin Falls canyon painting
<><><> 
</></></></></></>
Having our sack lunches outside CSI under the shade of a tree
A few of the boys taking a rest on the grass after lunch
More rest time: Mike feeding the baby while napping.
Picnic time!
This was the giant dome/meeting area as well as a little of the fire pit

Alex with his little buddy, Orin.  Orin just loved being with Alex.
Eric and I's tent
The top of our tent on the inside

1 comment:

Susan said...

I don't know if I would have survived camping in the tent, but it looks like everyone was happy! I had to laugh at that picture of Alex in the museum laying down. Looks like he was tired.