Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chilly Garden Pizza

Can't get your kids to eat veggies?  You've gotta try this recipe.  It is LOADED with fresh vegetables and my family loves it.  It makes a nice healthy lunch and there's no cooking involved so it's perfect for summer.  It takes only about 15 minutes to prepare start to finish.  I found this recipe in my new Betty Crocker Cookbook for Women.  I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago, and the kids and Eric were a little unsure at first, but after trying it, they loved it.  I've made it several times since and what's most surprising to me is that Alex (my pickiest eater) LOVES it.  The other day I made it when some of his friends were here along with a regular baked pizza.  He was bragging to his friends about how good this was and how they had to try.  This particular day, he ate probably 5 slices of the veggie one and none of the other one.  It's rare that I get a compliment on a meal from this child, so I was quite flattered when he bragged it up to his friends. :)  He begs for everyone else's share everytime I make it.  Funny thing is, Alex always talks about how he hates spinach, but with the spinach chopped, I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know it's spinach.  The other kids and Eric all like it too.

Chilly Garden Pizza

1 container (6.5) 50% less fat garlic and herb spreadable cheese (As a substitute, I combined 8 oz of cream cheese with 2-3 T of Johnny's Garlic Bread Seasoning and made 2 pizzas with it-yum!)
1 pkg (10 oz) prebaked thin Italian pizza crust (12 inch) **I buy several at a time and freeze them so I have them on-hand**
1 cup chopped spinach
3/4 cup diced seeded cucumber
1 large tomato, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 Tablespoon fresh basil leaves chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded carrots

1. Spread cheese over pizza crust
2. Top with spinach, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, and basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with carrots.

I just started my own herb garden out on my deck and I'm always trying to find ways to use my herbs now.  I love the taste of the fresh basil on this pizza.  In the picture I used flat bread, but I prefer the pizza crust that it calls for.

6 comments:

6L's said...

looks and sounds great! reminds me of a classic pampered chef recipe...it uses rolled out crescent rolls as the crust and a ranch type spread. that's awesome about alex and the spinach! what he doesn't know won't hurt, lol!

Susan said...

I applaud your kids for eating it. Somehow I don't think Scott or my kids would. They think vegetables are EVIL. I would definitely eat it!

Carroll Family said...

YUM - I can't believe your kids will eat it!!! I'll have to try it!

Linda said...

That looks SO good--I could eat the whole thing myself and knowing my household I'd probably have to. I believe Nick was there and he said he didn't try it but I'm curious to know if Jr. did. He's at school all the time so I didn't have a chance to ask him.

Christie said...

Yumm that does look good!!!

snapie said...

Yummy!