Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What's Been Going On...

This is just a little update on what's been going on:  
(1) Camera Trouble: I haven't been able to take pictures lately because my camera's CF card says it needs to be replaced and so any pictures I take are corrupted.  I haven't gotten over to pick up a new card.  Also, my computer that I edit and store my pictures will no longer connect to the internet for any extended period of time...it is very intermittent which makes it nearly impossible to upload pictures.  These 2 things are causing my delays in blogging lately.  I still have several pictures that I've edited and not posted yet.  It's not a problem with the internet itself  because the rest of our house seems to get it fine.  I think it may be a Windows Vista issue.

(2) Cable Free: Last week I cancelled our cable TV service.  Eric and I decided that the kids were watching too much TV, and with the TV downstairs, it's easy for them to sneak in some shows without us being aware.  Not only that, but they were starting to not allow others to watch "their shows" and it was causing fighting. Also, the sassiness was beginning again with the Disney Channel increase.  And last but not least, we realized we were paying $80 a month for something we were constantly trying to monitor,and  it just wasn't worth it.  I've never been a TV watcher.  I didn't grow up watching TV, and although there are some shows I enjoy, it has never been a way that I've chosen to spend my time.  So, we went cable-free and I'm loving it.  They kids are being more creative in coming up with things to do and playing together.  One game they were playing the other day was the "dark game".  They turned all the lights off in the room downstairs that has no windows,(and no furniture right now either) and then they were playing hide and seek trying to find each other in the dark.  This was a favorite game of my siblings and I as kids.  We did it downstairs sometimes, but our favorite place was in my dad's concrete tire warehouse that didn't have any windows.  We even played that with friends sometimes.  Those were fun times.  Now, I have to admit we didn't completely leave the TV behind because we did sign up for Netflix and with that purchased a blu-ray player that works with Netflix streaming.  Netflix is awesome and only $8.99 a month so... we do still get some TV, but no commercials  and you can monitor what is in your queue.  Definitely an upgrade in my opinion.  We watched our first blu-ray movie the other day...Avatar.  Wow, the graphics were amazing!

(3) Cuddle Time: A couple of  weeks ago I told Jarem that he is old enough now that he shouldn't be coming and sleeping in my bed several times a week.  He'd go to sleep in his own bed and then come and get in our bed about 2-4am.  Then I'd wake up all stiff and I'd get all hot and sweaty because I'd be nestled between Eric and Jarem since he always got in on my side.  Well, he's a cuddly little boy, so as a compromise, I told him that he can come and get in my bed after it gets light in the morning  and have a little cuddle time before we get up.  I don't know how he does it, but as soon as it gets light (which has been about 5:50am), he is headed into our room every morning.  There was one morning that I got up earlier than normal and Jarem was SO sad that he missed his "cuddle time".  He really looks forward to that time.

(4) Parenting Class and Token Economy: Our church has been offering this parenting class based on James Jones'  "Let's Fix the Kids" program.  Christie Wall is teaching it, and she asked me to help her teach it initially, but I haven't really taught much.  However...I'm so grateful that she got me involved because I have learned so much from her.  This is a really awesome program.  We started the "token economy" program with our kids when summer began.  The idea is to pay your kids for things they already do around the house and of course you can add jobs too.  Then, you bump up what they are responsible to pay for.  For example, our kids will now be paying for half of their clothing and they will also pay for anything else they would like to have or do.  This eliminates begging,, it teaches them to manage their money, and it gets a lot more done around the house.  It has been an awesome program and so many things that I had to nag them for in the past, they just do now because the rules and schedules are set up and they have the motivation.  I'd like to blog about some specifics that I've learned in the parenting class soon since this is the last week, but it sufficeth to say that it has given me some great tools  as a parent and has been very successful so far in our family.  Eric has attended several of the classes also, so we can be doing this together.  I also have learned to communicate better and to give natural  consequences in an effective way that even works with my teenager.  More on that later though...

As far as other stuff, we've been having a great summer, but pretty laid back too.  The girls started out with basketball camp and Alex and Eric did a 50-mile hike with the scout group.  Since then, the kids and I usually try to do one activity per day whether it be free movies, free bowling, swimming, or parks, it has kept us occupied but still given us down time too.  They have also worked in friend dates as well.  We've almost completed everyone's physicals and dentist appointments, so it's nice to have  that about done.  One thing I haven't' done that I normally do is plan time for school work everyday.  I just haven't been motivated to make them to school stuff this year, but I'd like to incorporate a little reading or study time each day if only for 1/2 an hour or so. I think it really does give them a head start in the fall.

Well, enough ramblings for tonight...more later :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are having a great summer. You should try to fit in a visit to Nevada :) Remember- I came to see you last.

6L's said...

we hate our windows vista...worst program we've ever had! :( sorry about the camera.
way to go with cancelling cable...great move!! we did that and then it cost us more for our internet so we added basic cable back on and it works great so loren can watch the news and the kids only get pbs kids. i love it too so i totaly understand where you're coming from. :)
if you want to copy and paste any of my parenting class notes, you are totally welcome to them. what a wonderful class it has been!

Susan said...

Thanks for getting us caught up on what you guys have been doing this summer. We just barely started summer vacation this week. I have really missed your blog posts! I wish I could cancel the cable, but Scott would have a fit. So you like Netflix, huh? I'm thinking of switching over since I'm not that excited about Blockbuster and they're more expensive. Can't wait to see your pics once your computer is up and running again.

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

It was fun reading about what's going on with your family.  I admire you for letting go of cable-I'm not ready yet, but you are motivating!!  I absolutely love the idea of the token economy. I'd love more information about it, but it sounds like something I need to implement. Thanks for the great ideas. Hope the rest of your summer is great.