Thursday, June 17, 2010

They've Arrived...and Officially Taken Over!!!


The Japanese beetles have arrived and they are taking over the place literally!!  I have read that they usually show up mid-to late June and stick around through mid-August.  I guess they showed up early...yippee!  The Japanese beetle is a highly destructive plant pest that can be very difficult and expensive to control.  I noticed them for the first time two nights ago, and they are everywhere.  I was NOT happy!  They were all over my weeping cherry tree, my two hibiscus trees, my roses and they've now discovered my Japanese maple (go figure) :).  Not only that, but all the ones I saw were not only eating, but mating, which means there is only going to be more soon!

Within a very few days time, they have munched a full branch of new growth on my weeping cherry tree to merely leaf skeletons, and they are working on more now.  They are munching through my hibiscus buds and eating my rose buds and leaves.  They've successfully eaten most all of the buds on both my roses and my hibiscus including the leaves.  I shook the tree, and a whole swarm of them flew out.  These are out of control in Tennessee right now.  I have to do something about these things and quick if I want any trees or flowers left by next week.  I picked up some Japanese beetle traps yesterday at Lowe's along with some bug spray that is supposed to take care of Japanese beetles.  I sprayed my plants with the spray and put the bug traps out.  I've already caught several in the bag.  I don't see many on my plants tonight so I hope it's working!  I will take pictures later of the bug bag.  It's very interesting but seems to work as long as it isn't drawing them from elsewhere other than my yard.  Those things go crazy over the bait...they were swarming me while I was putting the bag out. I guess it's a combination of pheromones and floral scent.

Here's the new shoot on my weeping cherry that has been completely eaten.

I couldn't get this picture in focus because of the close-up, but if you look closely you can see all the beetles in this one hibiscus bud.  There were probably about 10.  The piece to the right is what's left of the flower/bud.  So frustrating, and they are like this on all the buds.


Here's a couple of buds that they just started boring into...see the holes right through the middle.

Here's a flower they have been working on...it's sad to see the amount of damage they can do in such a short time.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Be careful with those bug bags--they will actually attract more bugs. Put them way out in the yard away from the plants--or in a neighbor's yard to attract them over there. ;-)

And they will bite! One took a chunk out of Holly's leg when she was about 9. We use Sevin dust usually, though we did find something in a spray can that kills them on contact. Of course I don't have any now and can't remember the name, but when I do, I'll let you know. Good luck!

I find it ironic that the word verification for this comment is 'deadits'.

Susan said...

How awful! I'm sorry about your infestation. Yuck! And I thought aphids were bad. I had no idea.

Christie said...

sheesh was a mess... those things are terrible. I wonder why they picked your house. :-(

Linda said...

That's a bummer. Glad you blogged about it though because you didn't get to finish telling me about it the other day. To me, gardening is hard enough without something that that ruining everything. Sheesh!

snapie said...

Thats what they are! I didn't knwo so I didn't do anything. They haven't been doing hardly anything to my garden so I thought they were good LOL. I'm out the door to spray!