Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Jesikah's 5th grade graduation

I'm sure that you are probably tired of graduation posts, but bear with me while I post one more graduation. This fall will bring a lot of change for our family, thus all the graduations now. Jarem starts Kindergarten, Jesikah starts middle school (scary), and Alex begins high school. Tessa is the only one that will not be entering a new phase.

I know that a lot of people dislike preschool, elementary, or middle school graduations because they seem to celebrate mediocrity.  But, I enjoy them because it is a moment for me to recognize my child's accomplishments thus far and focus in on that child for a few minutes. 

I was very proud of Jesikah today, so let me brag on her for a minute.  She has always gotten good grades and done her best in school, but she worked especially hard this year.  She has had a great, but hard, teacher, and the standards have been raised this year which made it even harder.  In preparation for the TCAP writing test, she worked hard and improved a lot in her writing.  Through this, she developed a new love for writing.   She has been very responsible and always had all her schoolwork done on-time without any help or reminders from me throughout the year and always did a good job too.  Even though she's been at 3 different schools in the past three years, she has kept a good attitude and been a friend to everyone.

At graduation, she received the presidental academic award.  She also was recognized as the D.A.R.E. essay winner for her class and received a medal.  In addition, she was voted the best citizen in her class for the year by her classmates.(she didn't know about this)  She was awarded a $50 US savings bond which she was very excited about.  She was in art club the first semester and honor choir the second semester this year.  She enjoyed both, but she especially enjoyed singing.  They sang, "Lean On Me" for graduation, and she loved it.  She was also part of Jr. Beta Club.  She has accomplished a lot this year, and I'm glad she got the chance to be recognized.

Jesikah graduated from 5th grade on Monday.  It was a very nice ceremony with a great slideshow before the program.


Jesikah walking in



Jesikah's teacher calling her name as she is ready to walk out.

Jesikah with her teacher, Mrs. Watson


Jesikah and a friend, Skylar, after graduation

I got a little teary-eyed a couple of times during the ceremony.  I don't think I'm ready for this girl to go off to middle school.  She has always wanted me to be a part of her school experience and her life.  They are growing up all too fast.  Even though I don't want her to have to grow up, I do think she is mature enough to handle it and that gives me some solace.  I love you Jesikah.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations Jesikah! You should be very proud of all your accomplishments! I know you will do great in middle school.

Jenn said...

Sandy Watson is a good teacher! She used to teach at my mom's school a long time ago, and they are still friends. Glad Jesikah had such a great year! :o)

6L's said...

way to go jesikah!!! you ROCK!!!

snapie said...

Proud of you Jesikah! Hey what do you do with a savings bond? Yuki wasn't that excited when she got hers because we don't know what to do with it.