Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sinkholes


It's interesting how so many things can be different when you move to a different area even in the same country.  This was one thing I had never seen or even heard of until we moved out here...sinkholes.  Sinkholes are part of life in Tennessee.  This one was in the doctor's parking lot when I took Jarem for his physical last week.  There have been several sink holes found in our neighborhood...one very big one.  A sinkhole is an area that just suddenly starts sinking due to underground caves formed when water dissolves limestone in the aquifer.  A few weeks ago I was sitting at the car dealership while waiting for an oil change and this particular day, there were two new sinkholes in major roads in Tennessee on the news that morning.  I was really surprised.  While they are very interesting to me, I certainly hope it doesn't start sinking next to or under my house. ;)  The worst part is that insurance companies don't cover sinkholes unless you pay A LOT more, so we don't have the coverage as most people don't.

Interesting diagram about the making of a sinkhole

This was a picture I found on the internet...I couldn't believe how big this one was.

5 comments:

Carroll Family said...

WOW! We get a few around here, but nothing like those!

6L's said...

yeah, crazy huh? several years ago a neighborhood by exit one had several houses with this problem. so sad especially b/c of insurance not covering. :(

the Sayler's said...

how much more for the coverage? that pic makes me nervous...

Christie said...

Yes! Sink holes were something I had never heard of either! they're crazy tho eh?

Susan said...

I have heard of sinkholes here in Western Washington which usually happen after we have had a lot of rain. Luckily it is rare. I didn't realize they were so prevalent in Tennessee. Yikes.