Monday, June 21, 2010

Bag-a-Bug

Just for an update on the Japanese Beetle problem.  I started researching what to do.  I got one of these bags where there is a bait on top and then the beetles drop into the bag.  I filled 3 of these bags in just over a week.  We are talking THOUSANDS of these things!  Notice how the above bag is dragging the ground because of the weight.  Normally it is one to two feet off the ground.

I have to say that I was proud of my own resourcefulness. :) When I came home after buying three different items for the bug bag and still was missing a piece (you have to buy the bait, the bag, the stand, and the thing the bait goes on each in a different package).  I was missing the piece that you put the bait on where the bag attaches.  I decided I was not going back to the store, I would make it work.  So, I got a milk jug out of our recycle box, cut the bottom off, then I cut four little spiral things on each side to attach the bag and hung it.  It has worked perfectly.


This picture is just to give you an idea of the number of bugs in a bag.  When I go out there to change the bags, I get attacked by the beetles all around, and the bag really smells too.  Even after this though and the spray I bought at Lowes, there were definitely fewer, but we still had more beetles around than I liked.  What finally did the trick...

The HomeShield guy came by to do his treatment that they do around our house every other month.  I asked him if they have a service that will spray for trees and shrubbery for Japanese beetles.  He said that they don't have a service, but that he'd just do it while he was spraying around the house.  He sprayed all my roses, the hibiscus, and the two trees.  Guess what, that was all it took...no more beetles and he didn't charge me extra either!  I love HomeShield!

No comments: