Friday, May 1, 2009

Tessa's Dream


Last night, Tessa came into my room in the middle of the night, and said that she had a scary and sad dream. I asked her what happened. She said she dreamed that she went outside and it was hailing. When the hail touched her, she dissolved into a puddle. Then, she went to heaven.


I said, "You dissolved?"

She said, "Yes" and kind of giggled.

Then she said, "Does it hurt to die?"

I said, "A lot of times something painful causes you to die, but I don't think dissolving would hurt. " I smiled.

She smiled back, but then in a serious tone she said, "I don't want to die."

I said, "I don't want to die either, and I especially don't want you to die."

I continued to tell her not to worry about it, that I was sure she would live a good long life. She was contented and went back to bed.


As I lay there pondering before I went back to sleep, I remembered as a kid being very afraid of dying. I still am in some ways I guess, but the thing that scares me now if I were to die, is not being able to raise my own kids. I want to be there for them as long as I can. But if I had the choice, I would die in a heartbeat before seeing one of my children or my husband die. Life is too fragile. Things like this remind me how much I need to cherish each day.

4 comments:

Susan said...

so true, I feel the same way.......

Unknown said...

If I was younger, I would just say "word". Since I'm not, I'll just say "amen".

Roofenea said...

That is SO strange Rozanne! We were just talking about this very thing TODAY! Until Paul said he didn't even want to think about it anymore! :) I feel the same way!

the Sayler's said...

Amen.