Saturday, May 2, 2009

Friends

Awhile back, I had blogged about Alex's struggle with making friends and adjusting to middle school and the move. I just wanted to give an update.

Things have been going increasingly better for Alex. He still has bad days sometimes, but he is having a lot more good days now. He has made a lot of friends at church and looks forward to going to church on Sundays now and Wednesday activity nights. He even begs to stay and play basketball after activities with the other boys (which in and of itself is ironic because he complained all those seasons that I made him do Y basketball---now he is glad he knows what he's doing). I used to tell him, boys get together and play basketball, so you need to know how to play. Isn't it great when things you say make it back full circle?? :)

The other day when I picked Alex up from school, I asked him how his day was (just like I do everyday). Usually I get the answer, "OK" or "fine" or "I don't want to talk about it". On this particular day last week, he had a smile on his face when he got in the car and said, "Awesome".
I tried to hide my shock as I casually asked what made his day great. He said that he just realized that he had a lot of friends.
He probably had no idea that his comment made me probably more happy than it made him. :) I'm SO glad that he is finally adjusting and making friends. That's not to say that there won't be more tough times ahead, but we have to celebrate the positive!

3 comments:

Candace said...

That's great! I'm glad that he's making new friends and adjusting. I know it was hard for all of you to leave good friends. We're looking forward to seeing you soon!

Roofenea said...

Hurray for Alex! The feeling of relief and joy come to mind...similar to when you think you just hit someone's car and didn't. :)

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic! I am so happy to hear that! Its hard not to have friends at his age, I struggled a lot with that around his age. What a great feeling!