Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Crazy Weather!


Well, as I have said, it rained in New York while we were there and rained at home too. When we got back Thursday afternoon, it was pretty nice out in Clarksville, and we were hoping for a sunny weekend.

Well, Friday brought the rain back and more. Friday afternoon, we tried to check-out Alex early from school around 1:30pm so that we could head down to Nashville with Grandma before she went back home. I was told that this area was under a tornado warning (which is more severe than a tornado watch). The kids had been in tornado lockdown position at school, and they would not allow him to be dismissed until the warning had passed. They told us we needed to go in the school too to be safe. So, Jarem, Eric, Grandma Cindi, and I hung-out in the back room of the school with several other parents and the school counselor until the warning was over.

About 30-40 minutes later, they finally released him and we headed over to get the girls checked out before school was out . We were able to get them at the same time as hourds of other parents were picking up their kids too. I guess the busses were to be running about an hour late because of the tornado warning and the lockdown in the other schools. Not to mention, there was word that another tornado could be coming later. The girls said they were in tornado position too for about an hour, which they said is when you kneel on your knees with your chest down over your legs and your hands clasped behind your head. (how uncomfortable)!


Well, the weather cleared up and it was clear and sunny for a little while. We took Grandma Cindi out to dinner in Nashville and checked her into a hotel because her flight was leaving early the next morning. On our way home, we could see lightning in the distance. As we got closer to home, it was getting closer and closer. The rain was pounding our car making it difficult to see anything and leaving puddles on the road, but we made it home. After a few minutes of being home, the storm started to dissipate and Eric and I were just going to bed when storm 3 hit.

This was the worst one yet. It was the scariest storm that I've seen yet. The lightning and thunder were constant without a break. There was a constant flashing of light outside the windows. The rain was pounding, and the wind was blowing like crazy. It was freaky. Eric said, "We need to get everyone downstairs, I think there is going to be a tornado". (Which is saying a lot because Eric is usually the one saying everything is fine). So, around midnight, we carried/helped the kids all down to the basement to sleep. The storm didn't let up until about 5-6am. I hear there was a tornado just Northeast of us that uprooted trees, etc. There was standing water everywhere the next morning. So I looked on the weather statistics and it said we'd had 8 inches of rain in the past week. Well, I guess we didn't even get the worst of it. Some places in Alabama got 10 inches in a matter of hours.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is pretty crazy! I am glad you were all safe though- especially throughout the night, how scary!

Susan said...

That is scary-I'm glad you're all ok. I remember when we lived in Iowa and there was a tornado warning. We went into the basement but our neighbors were all outside looking for the tornado. They probably thought we were wimpy being from Washington and all, but better to be cautious than not!

Candace said...

That would be a scary night. I never have even heard of tornado position. That's interesting that the kids did that for so long at school. I'm glad you're all safe. We're pretty oblivious out here in the west about tornado's.

Roofenea said...

Where did you get that AMAZING picture! Did you take it? An HOUR! I can't believe it...I'd be so uncomfortable I think I'd cry. I am so glad you guys are ok.

Eric and Rozanne said...

I can't take credit for that picture, Ruth. :) I found it online, but it felt fitting for that night...

Unknown said...

I've lived in Tennessee the majority of my life and I can't remember a storm like that ever! Usually I sleep right through them, but this one woke me up constantly and I thought seriously about sleeping downstairs, too. Glad I didn't because it flooded! We had fans running down there from Sat morning till yesterday evening. Then we moved them to our rent house which also got water in it--and we didn't know till Tuesday!