Thursday, May 14, 2009

Little Miracles

Many of you may remember our school confusion when we first moved to Tennessee last August. We arrived one week before school started. Since we were living in the apartment, I spent all week the first week trying to get permission for the girls to go to the elementary school where our house was being built. I finally accomplished it all (and it was quite an ordeal) the day before school started and registered them at the school. I thought all was well.


Not so...When they went to school on the first day, I went into the office to see which class Tessa had been assigned to. I just happened to be standing next to a woman who was talking about the street she lived on and how the bus that tried to pick her kids up that morning tried to take them to a DIFFERENT elementary school. Well, my ears perked up because I recognized the street name as being in our new neighborhood. So, to make a long story short, our neighborhood (being a brand new neighborhood) had be re-zoned over the summer AFTER WE SIGNED OUR CONTRACT to a school that was far away AND did not have a good reputation. Keep in mind, we ONLY looked at homes to buy within that original school boundaries.


Well, we had a weekend before they went back to school on Monday. It broke my heart to have to move them again to a different school, but even more pressing on my mind was: WHAT SCHOOL? My options were: (1) the school where our new home had been re-zoned for (that didn't have a good reputation) ,(2) the school where our apartment was zoned for, (3)possibly getting approved to attend a different elementary school in the district or (4) home-school (which I didn't want to do because I wanted them to have a chance to make friends in the new place).


It was SUCH a hard decision. All weekend, I researched and prayed, and prayed and researched. I did not know what to do, but I knew I couldn't move them again, so wherever I took them to school on Monday morning had to be final. (I did know that a new elementary school was being built right next to Alex's middle school which would most likely be a good school and become the zone for our new house and would open Fall 2009). So, where to put the kids for one year???


Well, after much prayer and deliberation, I finally made my decision and only with a few minutes to spare on Monday morning. I decided to put the girls in the school where the apartment was zoned. It had the best reputation, but there was the chance that they wouldn't let us stay after we moved. However, I felt good about it, so I went for it.


Now, in retrospect, I can see it was truly an answer to prayer. They have had a great year at that school. They both benefitted from outstanding teachers. Tessa's teacher even got nominated for "teacher of the year".


Now, for our little miracle, their principal at their current school got named principal of the NEW school that opens this fall which we are now zoned. Not only that, but she took 7% of the faculty from that school with her including both the girls current teachers and several others and their music teacher whom they love. We attended a "Meet & Greet" night for the new school this week. She is setting up the school to be run very, very similar to the way she ran their other school. In fact, even the times are the same. We really like her, and are so thrilled with the teachers she has hired. Having the same principal and many of the same teachers and routines will make their transition smooth, and they are very excited. And the best part is, the school is 5 minutes from our house and the girls can ride the bus too.

I'm so grateful for the little miracles that happen in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing! Glad everything is working out great with the school. Answers to prayers are so wonderful.

Nadia said...

Glad it all worked out. You are obviously well skilled in making decisions! Loved all your photos from recent events. I am always so jealous when I look at your blog and see all the stuff you get up to (I know it's wrong to covert and I'm trying to be better). We miss you guys but are glad that life is treating you well out there.
P.S The problem with the shirt I was wearing at the surprise party was that it made me look like I had 10 belly rolls instead of just the 3. It really showed what I have and I would have preferred to keep that under raps!