Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wall Cloud


Last night, we had a strong thunderstorm with high winds come through. Eric's dad called to warn us it was coming since we rarely watch the news or weather. Eric got this picture of a wall cloud to the back left of our house. For those of you, like me, that don't know what a wall cloud is, I did my research for us. :)
A wall cloud is a cloud formation associated with thunderstorms. Here's what wikipedia said about wall clouds. "Wall clouds are caused by the ascending and converging in inflow air of the updraft ingesting moist, rain cooled air from the normally downwind downdraft." Most strong tornadoes form within wall clouds. No tornadoes last night though, thankfully.
It's amazing how quickly most of these storms roll in and out. The sky goes from light to completely dark in a matter of minutes. They usually last about 30 minutes to 1 hour and then it's over.

7 comments:

Susan said...

That is a great picture. I'm glad you guys did not get a tornado, though.

Carroll Family said...

Cool! Could you send some of that over this way, please???

Unknown said...

That is an awesome picture. I got to view it first hand--I was driving home from Nashville. Quite tense! It was amazing to watch the sky go dark--almost like someone had turned off a light switch. I was only going about 40mph, but finally made it home. Not an experience I want to repeat anytime soon.

the Sayler's said...

that is a cool pic - my favorite clouds are mammatus (they are rare)

David & Viola Ricks said...

Wow. That is a scary picture. Amazing! We just don't see that kind of things in Idaho. I should have taken a photo of the big dust storm today. It was terrible.

Tami said...

That is pretty spooky! Nice job on your research. I hadn't heard of a wall cloud before.

Roofenea said...

This is a beautiful picture!!! I have been wanting to comment on several of your posts, but I read them from my reader and it isn't as convenient. I'll stop being so lazy! (Remember, Roofenea is Ruth)