Sunday, August 30, 2009

Eric's Birthday

August is a busy month for us with both Jesikah and Eric's birthday and our anniversary too. We celebrated Eric's birthday on the day before his birthday, Saturday, August 22nd. The kids and I spent most of the day cleaning inside while Eric thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed both cars. Then, in the late afternoon we had Eric open his presents before he and I went out to dinner at Longhorn and went to the movie "G.I. Joe" for his birthday.

Opening his present from Jesikah


Opening his homemade card from Jesikah

It's a tie! Jesikah loves giving gifts and she wants to buy things with her own money now even though she doesn't have much. She found this tie at Goodwill for around $1 or $2 and was so pleased to find something with orange since Eric loves orange. I love Jesikah's expression in these pictures...she is so anxious for him to open the present and proud that he likes it.


Eric trying on his new tie with Jesikah observing


Alex has to have a turn too.


This was Eric's big gift. Since we didn't have enough wrapping paper to wrap it, I used brown paper bags and then the kids and I wrote notes all over it to Eric.


This was Jesikah and my side


This green writing is Alex's section. He wrote a very nice heartfelt note to Eric. It's fun to see Alex's sensitive side sometimes.


The top section above the label was Jarem and Tessa's part. Jarem drew lots of pictures. He wanted to write letters so bad, but he didn't know how. I hope to spend lots of time working with him on writing in the next few months.


Eric is excited to have another opportunity to use his new pocket knife that he bought before going to scout camp.


It's ROCKBAND 2 for Wii...just what he wanted!! He's been wanting it ever since we spent several days with the Fourtners' in Washington and we all had such a good time playing it together.


Jarem and Alex goofing off while Eric was opening the box of Rockband.


More playing around...


I had to give him this Shrek gift bag because I thought it was funny. The shield is "removable" and on the back it said "To Our Knight in Shining Armor". Alex is getting a good look also.


Jarem and Alex are jealous because they want to the knights in shining armour too. Here they are fighting over the shining silver shield. :) Alex is trying to take advantage of his moment to get the shield as Jarem is distracted by the camera.


He got a couple of pairs of shorts


And a new golf shirt...after spending $60 on a golf shirt at the golf course a few months ago (because he wasn't wearing a collared shirt), I thought I better make sure he had at least a couple to choose from to save that mishap from happening again. :)

Cute picture of Jarem and Eric...they are good buddies.


Checking out the guitar


Jesikah trying out the guitar with the new tie too.


Alex trying to rock out, but he looks a little constipated to me. :)

"I just want to touch the drums"


Tessa wanted to get her hands on the guitar too.
The next day on his real birthday, we had a nice dinner and I made him his favorite lemon meringue pie. I had a few mishaps while making the pie, however.
I first tried to bake the crust in the bottom oven and something had been spilled on the bottom of the oven and was making things smoky. Then, I then transferred the crust to the upper oven to clean the bottom oven. That's when I learned that I had formed the crust a little too far out to the edge of the pan and the crust didn't shrink like the recipe I am used to. A couple of pieces of dough from the crust fell onto the bottom of the oven and then that oven started smoking like crazy. I opened the oven to remove the pieces and the smoke alarms all started going off. I opened all the windows, turned them off, and then they'd start going off again. The whole house was all smoky. I was very frustrated. So after the smoke and fire alarm catastrophe, Eric and I went for a little walk to get some fresh air while the pie cooled. It was such a nice, cool day that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyway the filling and meringue both turned out good even though I was short an egg, but the crust tasted a bit "smoked". :) Oh well...he was just happy to have his pie!

Eric's lemon meringue pie...Jesikah had to add at least one candle for him to blow out so it could be considered a real party.

The pie actually turned out more set than usual because of the missing egg, but the meringue was not as high because of the missing egg white.

7 comments:

Susan said...

It looks like Eric had a great birthday. I am jealous that he got Rockband 2. That is on our Christmas wish list.

Christie said...

Yumm, your pie looks yummo! what a fun birthday

Carroll Family said...

I loved the wrapping paper idea! And, is that really your view out your window - it's so beautiful!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I am glad he had a good birthday. Orange is a great color! Pizza!Pizza! Barrys truck is in the shop getting painted pizza orange as we speak!

Fourtner Family said...

Hope you had a great birthday, Eric--rock on!!

Eden said...

Love all the celebrating you do. And that meringue pie looks yummy! Your family is so adorable.

Nikki said...

Eric, we will always know how old you are. Luckily you are still young at heart.