Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Jesikah Made it to All County!

Band try-outs for All County were a little over a week ago.  Jesikah plays the clarinet and decided to try-out.  It was a lot to learn and prepare.  She had to learn a song called, "Chanson Op 35" by R Gliere.  It was a bit difficult for her.  In addition, she had to memorize all the scales.  During the audition, first they played their piece, then the judge could ask them to play any scales and they had to be able to do it. Lastly, they had to sightread up to 3 pieces. 

Jesikah was very nervous and she made a couple of mistakes, but I thought she did well regardless.  She didn't think she made it because she made those mistakes, but that night, w
e found out that she MADE IT!  She was ranked #6 out of 12.  I was very proud of her!  First, for making the decision to try-out.  Second, for working hard to learn everything.  And, third, for making all-county band.  This coming Friday and Saturday, she gets to go practice with the All-County band and do a concert on Saturday.


I really like the middle school band teacher.  Jesikah has never had a clarinet lesson and is doing very well for only her second year in band.  She and I are preparing a piano and clarinet piece to play in church.  It has been fun.  It has made me want to have a family band.  I want Tessa to start flute next year in band because it would go well with piano and clarinet.  Jarem wants to learn the violin, but I am not sure if he would be made fun of for it because some people consider it a "girly" instrument.  I want Jarem to learn the trumpet too and then move to french horn.  But I do want a violin player as well.

Here is the link for Jesikah playing Chanson before try-outs that morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZJL_8lOL0U

2 comments:

Susan said...

Congrats to Jesikah! I have never been musical. I wish I would have learned to play something when I was younger and had more brain power :) It would be cool to see your family band perform! I don't think the violin is girly at all.

Nikki said...

Congrats. She'll use it forever!