Wednesday, April 27, 2011

TCAP Carnival and Easter Egg Hunt

Last Friday, April 22nd, Tessa had her TCAP Carnival. The TCAP is the Tennessee State Assessment test for grades 3-8. The school kids completed the TCAP the week before, and the school rewarded them for working hard all week with a TCAP carnival the following Friday. There was face-painting, carnival games, popcorn, and drinks.  They enjoyed it. 

I headed up the face-painting station (as I did last year).  I enjoy doing face-painting.  This year, however, as the 4th grade was coming in, I left to try and make it to Jarem's Easter egg hunt.  I pointed Tessa in the direction of this man (below) to do her face-painting.  He quickly became the most popular one and could do more detailed designs like Taz.  His wife and teenage son were also face-painting.  I quickly learned that they live in our neighborhood.  Anyway, Tessa was happy with the flower he painted for her, so I got her picture with Mr. Schrump.

After school on Friday, they were both happy.  Jarem had an Easter egg hunt and an ice cream sundae party.  Tessa had her TCAP Carnival and a hot dog party in her class for reaching a certain level in AR.  There is kind of a funny story about that big egg they are holding. 

When Jarem was filling his eggs the night before to take to the Easter egg hunt, he couldn't quite fit the Nerds box in the eggs.  I suggested he find one of the bigger eggs.  He found this one in our egg collection and was able to fit all the varieties of candy in it.  He was very pleased with the big red egg.  The teachers would be collecting the eggs and hiding them.  It occurred to me that if someone else ended up with that big egg, it could make him upset.  Also, I hoped there wouldn't be fighting over the BIG egg.  He assured me that he wouldn't be upset if someone else got it, but he was determined to find it.  I told him, "If you really want it, as soon as everyone goes outside, you look for the big egg first."  He did, and he got the big egg!  I was disappointed that I just missed the egg hunt due to the carnival.  I would have liked to see him go for that egg.  I made it just in time for the ice cream sundaes. 

I spent all day Friday at that school volunteering and having lunch.  When I checked out to go home, I had been there 6 hours and 9 minutes.

1 comment:

6L's said...

you're a great mom doing all that volunteer work there! i miss all the kindergarten stuff and look forward to doing the fun activities with leila next year!