Monday, April 11, 2011

Extreme Weather

Here it comes again! It must be a Monday thing. Last Monday when I went to take Alex to seminary at 6am, it was 72 degrees. I was very surprised that it was that warm. The sky was overcast and the air was muggy. It was eerie (like the calm before the storm) and sure enough, by about 10 something the thunderstorm had arrived. The poor kids were in tornado position at school for something like almost 2 hours. Fortunately for them, there were a few short breaks between one tornado warning and the next. It was crazy.  And by the way, is there any proof that that crazy position actually saves anyone?  I wonder sometimes if it might be outdated.  Surely there is something better.

This was the weather.com picture for last Monday

Today (Monday), once again, it was 72 this morning when I took Alex to seminary.  I should have known. But it started out sunny, so I just thought it might be a hot one today.  I was whining to myself that we have hardly had any nice spring weather and already the heat is here.  But, it is now about 10:30am and the sky is black once again.

This is the weather.com picture for today
There are a lot of things that I love about Tennessee, but the weather is not among those.  There are too many extremes:

Extreme thunderstorms which usually include:
Extreme rain,
Extreme wind,
Extreme hail, &
Extreme tornadoes

Extreme summer heat
Extreme humidity
Extreme ice storms
And sometimes it even gets extremely cold.  This year we got down to -8 degrees one of the days this winter.

Now, don't get me wrong, Tennessee is extremely beautiful in all seasons with extremely beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and extremely friendly people, but I am talking about the weather.



Eric is done with his Army commitment in a year.  We often talk about where we would like to really settle down.  We talk about staying here sometimes.  We've pretty much determined to try to stay here until Alex graduates as long as Eric can find work, but after that, we will probably make our break.  The weather is just a bit too extreme for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! that is pretty intense! I think you guys should come settle in Arizona!! We hardly have extreme weather (only extreme heat for 6 months and monsoon season) and the winters and spring are wonderful! Maybe you could come down and visit and see how nice it is here! :)

Carroll Family said...

Come here! Ok, the summer is extreme, but the rest is wonderful!

Susan said...

Everyone wants you to move near them, and I am no exception! At least try to move within driving distance to us. We miss you guys!

6L's said...

y'all can just stay here. with the way the world is going, the weather is crazy everywhere. :)