Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It Must be Spring

Well it must be spring, because the storms just keep coming.  Last night we had another terrible one.  It started sometime after midnight and when I first woke up, the heavy wind and rain were hitting the windows in a sideways circular pattern that reminded me of a carwash.  It was hard and loud!  I was very nervous that a tornado was to follow, but that part only lasted about 10 minutes.  However, it was long enough to blow the tree down next to our driveway, blow the cover off our chimney, and take out the power. 



I was up most of the night after it started because first it was these things, then I could hear tapping/dripping on the gas fireplace due to the cover coming off the chimney and I wondered how much water was getting in there and how we would get it out.  I am still not sure.  Then our alarm system started beeping or was that first?  Anyway, the lightning and thunder managed to keep me awake on and off until about 4am when it all finally settled down.  Then, I woke up at about 6am and our power was back on but no one's alarms had gone off.  I went and woke up Alex and Jesikah and offered to take them to school since they were waking up late.  Alex was too late to go to seminary. :(  After getting all the kids off to school, I went to take a walk with Priya.  After we had walked about 2 rounds, one of our neighbors stopped and said they just got a message from the school system that the schools were letting out 5 hours early today due to power outages!   Priya checked the time and it was 9:20.  That meant middle school and high school were getting out right then!  So, I went and picked up Alex and Jesikah.  Poor Tessa!  She was so looking forward to today.  She had an honor choir field trip, a hot dog party for AR, and an afterschool movie night with the teacher and a few other students that read the same novel.  Jarem and Tessa rode the bus home.  I did have a plan for the day, but now I am completly off-track. :)  Now I wish I wouldn't have gotten up and made the effort to get them to school.  I should have just stayed in bed!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, I can't believe that tree just snapped like that. I hate wind storms (ever since our skylight blew off that one time) and can never sleep when we have one. Glad you just had some minor damage and hope it can get repaired quickly & cheaply. I hate the rain here, but I'll take that any day over thunderstorms. Stay safe!

6L's said...

i totally understand what you mean. it was so silly of the school system to not cancel school with 11 schools out of power in the first place! my only saving grace was loren had taken the day off bc of loni getting her tubes so he did all the shutteling around. :) btw, she already seems like a new child!

David & Viola Ricks said...

I have wondered about that terrible storm system back in your area. I'm glad that was all you experienced--as scary as it was. It is amazing that young tree would snap. It had to be a big force. Glad you were blessed and protected.

Nikki said...

I feel your pain. Southern storms are pretty quick and powerful.