Tuesday, February 16, 2010

School Closing Make-up Plan

I was interested in how the kids would be making up the school days they have missed.  This is what I found on the school district website: 

Weather Related School Closing Make-Up Plan 2010
This plan is designed to make up as much time before critical state tests as possible while maintaining the graduation and spring break calendar.
As of Tuesday, February 16, 2010, seven days have been missed in the school calendar. We have three built in snow days leaving four days to be made up for instruction.
  • Day 1   Addition of 30 minutes to the end  of the school day beginning on March 1, 2010 and ending March 18, 2010   
  • Day 2*   April 2nd (a day formerly “out of the calendar”)   
  • Day 3   Addition of 30 minutes to the end of the school day beginning on March 19, 2010 and ending April 9, 2010 and full student day on March 8th   
  • Day 4**   For staff only, May 25, 2010 (all staff report for training – students use a stockpiled day)   
  • Day 5 (if needed)   Addition of 30 minutes to the end of the school day beginning on April 12, 2010 and ending April 29, 2010 
I thought it was interesting that they will be adding 30 minutes to a series of days rather than adding more days.  I think I like that plan better than the alternative.

5 comments:

Susan said...

That is interesting. Never heard of a school doing that, but seems like a good idea.

6L's said...

i've heard talk of this the last 2 days...thanks for the full explanation so i can put it on my calendar! :)

Holly said...

I know that Cheatham County is doing this too. I like this much better than taking days away that are supposed to be given. I can deal with 30 more minutes added to the days. Thanks for this information.

Linda said...

Wow, that is not what I expected. I sure hope the snow is done!

Nikki said...

You really got hit with snow this year. I think that's a great idea.