Monday, July 6, 2009

Swimming

Even though it felt a bit wasteful since we already have a membership to a gym with a pool, I decided to go ahead and get the city pool pass for our family. It really wasn't very expensive and you get access to all 5 city pools all summer, but the most convincing factor was the Howe's and the Young's getting passes as well. The kids all have friends between the two families so we decided to set a time to go and meet there as often as possible. We've been meeting at one of the pools most days between 10am-12pm. It's usually not crowded that early and it's just a good time to go. Amazingly enough, we've found other friends there as well that have joined the fun and we've all had a great time. Today I got a few pictures...although we went later today so we didn't see the Howe's or Youngs. Alex usually goes with us too, but went to soccer camp today and was too tired. Not that I would have gotten any pictures of him though, because he hides from the camera whenever it comes out.

Tessa taking a break from swimming. She's been practicing hard swimming so she can pass the test at the YMCA. She has also gotten brave and goes off both the high and low diving boards daily and loves the slide.
Jesikah playing with Jarem

Jesikah getting under the water to lift Jarem up on her shoulders. He was a bit heavy for her once she came up, but she managed for a minute or so.

With the pool pass, I was able to sign the kids up for swim lessons for only $15 a two-week session. I signed Tessa and Jarem up for lessons which started today. I put Jarem in Level one, but I had to bump him down to preschool since he was the only one in his class that couldn't touch the bottom in the 3 feet(the other kids were 6, 8, and 10), so he didn't quite fit in even though it was a beginning class. When I walked over to put him in the other class, I accidentally half-stepped on the other coach's sunglasses and one of the lenses popped out. I felt horrible and apologized. I know how people can be very attached to their sunglasses and I felt bad that I had been so careless. I worried about it the whole lesson, but in the end, he was able to pop the lense back in and it didn't end up being a problem. That was a relief, but I still felt very bad about it. It doesn't seem like Jarem will be learning much in the preschool class because they mostly just play in the baby pool, but at least he'll enjoy it. Tessa though, has a great teacher that I think will really help her.

7 comments:

Pattie said...

you have beautiful children..thanks for chatting with me today.i have been enjoying reading your blog..

Holly said...

Glad to hear that the pool has been good for you. I need to get my kids signed up for swim lessons again. They do well with their arm floaties, but I want them to be able to swim.

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures! You always take the neatest pictures! One good thing about it being hot is it makes it nice to go jump in a refreshing pool- it has been in the 70's still around here. I can't wait to go jump in the pool on a hot day!

Susan said...

That will be fun to hang out at the pool while we're there. Hope you have extra sunscreen for me & Gabs. We're not planning on checking any baggage so we're limited on what we can bring.

Nadia said...

Having extra things for your kids to do during the summer is never wasteful! Wish that we could spend a bit more time in the outside pool!

Linda said...

We missed you guys the few times that we actually went last week! Those are great pictures--makes me want to go right now even though all my kids are gone for a couple days.

Heather said...

We love our city pool and are there every chance that we get. I am sad that Elliot isn't have the experience that Jarem had with lessons...you saw my blog :/ She does love to just go to the pool though and is really not afraid of the water so I am not too worried about it yet. We will just try lessons again next year- maybe she will be less of a stinker about the whole thing.