Thursday, July 30, 2009

Canning Peaches

Yesterday I got a tip from someone in our church on where to get good peaches at a good deal. I've been wanting to can some, so I went and picked up a few boxes and put everyone to work. I have never done canning without Eric before, but I decided the kids were old enough to pitch in this year. After much complaining, they finally decided it wasn't that bad (it helped that I offered them a shake from Sonic for everyone that didn't complain and was pleasant). They all earned their shakes and it turned out to be a worthwhile project. When Eric got home from work, he helped finish the last little bit, which was so helpful because I was tired. The kids were proud of what they accomplished. When a friend came over today and saw all the jars of peaches, Tessa proudly said, "We skinned all of those." I was glad they got a taste of the effort that goes into some of the good things they eat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's neat! my mom cans applesuase and thats a big project too.

Carroll Family said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I have to wait until September, but I'm anxious for yummy Utah peaches !

Susan said...

You guys did a lot of work! Funny that we were just talking about canning and now you've gone and done it! Enjoy the fruits of your labors..ha ha.