Thursday, July 30, 2009

I LOVE Legos


Never have I spent money on a toy that is more worthwhile than Legos. We started buying Alex Legos when he was a little boy. We'd buy the set, we'd help him put it together, and he would then take it apart and use the pieces for other things never to create the original thing again. I don't know why that used to bother me because that only means he is very creative and curious, an inventor, really. But, I'm a kind of person who likes to follow the directions once and then display it somewhere and never again take it apart. But Alex loves to create his own masterpieces and then take them apart and make something else, and I've learned to appreciate that now.

A few years ago, we decided there was no use buying him Lego sets to build something specific, because he just wanted pieces to make his own things. He wanted, of course, the cool pieces and guys though (which don't come in the basic sets), but not a set to build something specific. So, one Christmas, I started searching on ebay and found a huge lot of legos that were several mixed sets all mixed together including lots of guys and cool pieces. That was what we needed, so I bought it.

When we got it, the legos were SO dirty. I searched online how to clean Legos, and learned that you can wash them in the washing machine in a pillowcase. We put them into the washing machine in pillowcases and dried them in the dryer on no heat. It worked beautifully (except it was very loud), and they were so clean when they came out that you would never know they weren't brand new. Eric and I sorted them by specialty pieces, size, and color (and guys were separate). It took a long time, but we put them in several clear plastic storage bins and gave that to him for Christmas. He still says that was one of his best Christmases.

Anyway, my point is, he has spent many hundreds of hours creating things with Legos and now, all the kids go down to the basement room and play Legos for hours at a time. It is the one thing they can all play together without fighting. Of the days that we've been home this summer, the kids have spent some part of everyday playing Legos. They each have their own section on the table for displaying their own creations and they have so much fun together with the Legos. Of all the toys I've ever purchased, I think the Legos have been my most worthwhile investment. So many other toys just lasted a few months or a year, but the Legos have stood the test of time.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We LoVeD legos as kids, and my brothers still enjoy playing them. I never knew that about cleaning them, that's very interesting. Do you close the pillow case so they don't fly everywhere?

Eric and Rozanne said...

Yes, you can tie the top or close it with safety pins. You definitely don't want to be picking them out of your washer later.

Carroll Family said...

This is a GREAT idea!!! I might have to check out ebay for things like this!

Eden said...

I'm happy to hear what a successful toy these have been. I have a 7 yr old nephew who continually asks me to buy more legos for my house. I did buy a new set for him just the other week and he came over and put it together and then told me that he liked legos so much that he would not come over to my house until I bought the next set! I quickly persuaded him otherwise but it cracked me up. He certainly has lego fever.

Linda said...

Spencer has asked for a bunch of legos many times but like you said--you can usually only find sets to make something specific. I'll have to check out ebay--they really are a great toy (unless you step on them all day). :-)