Friday, February 27, 2009

Thunderstorms

I hate thunderstorms! Last night we had a really violent thunderstorm. We have a big bay window in our bedroom that doesn't have any window coverings on it, so the lightning completely lights up our room and I feel like I'm going to be hit by lightning at any second. (I didn't take this photo, but this is pretty much what it looked like outside the window). I try to put the covers over my head and cover my head with pillows, but afterall, I'm the one who's closest to the window, so I'm the one who'll get taken! :)

The lightning here is SO close and SO bright and SO everywhere. The thunder comes RIGHT after the lightning and shakes the ground. Then the wind and the rain pound everything. The rain was SO loud on Jesikah's window she came in and said she couldn't sleep because it was SO loud. When I say pounding, it seriously was pounding. The power and the street lights were surging and flickering. It's just scary!

Eric grew up in the South, so he likes them and can sleep right through them, but I had a hard time with them when we lived in Missouri and still really dislike them. Out West, there just aren't thunderstorms ANYTHING like there are here.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Ah, yes, thunderstorms. I remember the ones in Iowa that shook our house with every thunder clap. I thought our house would fall apart, but Scott assured me that since it had stood since 1962 it had weathered many thunderstorms already. After a few months I started to sleep through them. Hopefully you will get used to it, too!

Candace said...

I remember having those in basic training in South Carolina and then when I lived in Georgia. I always loved them, it reminded me that I'm really not much compared to what else God has done. I actually kind of miss those big guys. Every time we get a storm come through here I get let down because they're nothing compared to how they are back there. Just remember that when the dog bites, when the bee stings... you know the rest.

Tami said...

I always loved thunderstorms until we moved to MO. They were a lot crazier there than I had ever seen! We don't have really bad storms here in WA but last summer by a fluke our house was hit by lightening! It was crazy. We were blessed that it wasn't very bad but it did knock out a lot of our electrical stuff and made two little holes in our roof. Hopefully you will have better luck than we did!!