Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thoughts on my Middle-Schooler

Alex, my 13-year old, has been on my mind all morning. My heart is hurting for him. He has struggled the most since we moved from Washington to Tennessee last August. He misses his best friend, Matt, so much, and he also misses Tanner, Nick, Sean, and Kyle a lot. He misses his soccer coach and teacher, Mr. Smith and his basketball coach, Coach Waldron. He was in a good place there with a lot of great friends. Even the other people in his class that weren't his close friends he still misses. He misses everyone in church too.

Alex with his two good friends, Matt and Tanner, at a scout campout before we moved.

Alex with his 3-year soccer coach and 5th grade teacher, Mr. Bill Smith.

One of his last school events before we moved was 6th grade graduation. As part of the graduation, his whole class sang some songs. Since then, anytime anyone tries to listen to those songs he desperately requests for us to turn it off. He doesn't want to see or hear anything that reminds him of all he left behind. Well, yesterday when I came home from picking up the girls, he was watching his 6th grade graduation movie. I was surprised, and glad that he was able to finally watch it. But, the look on his face, just killed me. He was SO sad. He misses them so much.


Matt singing at 6th grade graduation.
Alex and his friend, Kyle, playing a song for 6th grade graduation last year.

Alex is a very shy boy in social situations. When he was about 2 or 3 years old, I would take him to our neighborhood park to play with other kids, and so I could interact with other Moms, and he would cry if there were any other kids there. I would say, "go play", and he would say, "There's kids there." and he would hang on my leg until I took him home. He has gotten better since then, but he still has a hard time getting to know people in a new place. Don't get me wrong though, he can be a very active, rambunctious teenager at home and with the right group of friends.

Starting middle school in a new place would be hard for a lot of kids I think. When you are in elementary, you can at least get comfortable with the kids in your class and you have your teacher as your advocate, but by middle school, most kids have established their friends. You have different kids in every class, and you don't have something like recess to play and interact with people. Alex especially has a hard time since he is not outgoing.

Since we moved here, I have encouraged him to invite someone to do something or come over so he can get to know them, but it has just been out of his comfort zone. In middle school it takes more guts to invite someone to do something. Well, just recently, he has kind of gotten to know this boy at church and he also goes to school with him. On Monday, we had an early out day, and finally Alex got up the guts to ask him it he'd like to come over after school and "hang out". Well, it didn't end up working out and poor Alex felt rejected.

I've tried to encourage him to invite a different boy over that he knows from church. This boy is only about 9 months older than him, but he is 6' 4" and skipped a grade, so he is in 9th grade. Alex feels like he would be too "young" for him, but the boy is still a kid inside and he and Alex have a lot in common. I want to help him, but I don't know how. I asked him if he wanted me to ask him to come over, and he said, "Well, he wouldn't tell you no". Is that something Mom's do? I don't know how to help him make friends. He is really starting to feel like he WANTS friends other than casual friends. He wants someone he can invite over or spend time with outside school, and he NEEDS that interaction. He asked me yesterday, "Why does it have to be so hard?"

6 comments:

Susan said...

Middle school is always hard and being the new kid in school makes it worse. I remember coming into middle school (it was junior high for me, I'm old!) from a little private school and not knowing one person. It took me a while to make friends, but it happened. It will happen for Alex, too! Hopefully he will get to know more people as your neighborhood fills up. Hang in there!

Heather said...

Oh, I feel so bad for Alex! It stinks to be the new kid...even as an adult. It's been hard for me here because I had such good friends in Olympia. But as a kid, you need friends even more than an adult. Hang in there...it's is probably just as hard for you as his mom to see him like this!

Ruth and Paul said...

Awwwh! Rozanne, that just breaks my heart! Here I was thinking it wouldn't be a big deal since they switch schools anyway. But obviously that is not true! I'll ask my friend Julie who just went through this. Her kids were 14, 12,9, and 6 when they moved from WA (been here 14 years!) to UT where they only had some cousins. I know her oldest two really struggled and I'll ask for her advice.

Fourtner Family said...

This made me cry! I'm so sorry--you know I really know how you feel and I so wish it wasn't like that for Alex. That friendship thing is always tough and it does take awhile--especially for Alex , like we've talked about before. But, even knowing that, it's pretty tough to endure the heartache!! Ally and I need to pack Matt up with us when we come!! All my love and prayers to you and Alex.

RyanJohnsonFamily said...

Poor Alex...I moved in the middle of 8th grde from Texas to So. Cal (total culture shock)..I got in trouble for calling my Math teacher "mam"-she thought I was being sassy:) My mom said she would go home and cry after dropping me off knowing how much I hated it. I can totally relate!He is such a good kid...I know he'll be okay, but for now it stinks. I'm sorry:(

NeuroticMom said...

I'm slow to respond and I'm sure that things are already getting better...

...but I do NOT think it is weird for a mom to get involved a make a few phone calls to invite kids over. I've been doing it a lot lately.

In fact, a new "requirement" for Jax is that he invite someone over at least 2 times a week. We consider it one of his jobs. He isn't brave enough to make the phone calls yet, but I'm assuming that as he becomes more comfortable then we can back out.

Middle school is rough!