Monday, October 8, 2012

Gatlinburg Day 1

Since my parents were able to come for Alex's eagle court of honor, we planned it to coordinate with part of fall break so they could have quality time with the kids AND we could take them somewhere.  They arrived on Wednesday afternoon.  It was kind of funny that they arrived almost the same time as Eric's brother TJ and Sunny and their two kids got here.  (They were both here at the same time for Christmas too).  We spent the evening with them and the next morning and then TJ and Sunny headed on to his dad's house.

The first day we went on a long walk around the neighborhood and kind of relaxed a bit.  The next day was spent mainly preparing for the eagle court of honor.  Saturday, they got to see Jarem and Tessa play soccer for the first time.  They were shocked by the size of the soccer fields where many games are going on at the same time, but I think they enjoyed getting to see Tessa and Jarem play. 

Saturday and Sunday we also enjoyed General Conference together and TJ and Sunny came back through to stay Saturday evening and Sunday with us as well.  On Sunday afternoon, TJ and Sunny headed home to Chattanooga and the rest of us left for Gatlinburg.  We wanted to take my parents to the mountains in Tennessee and see if we could expose them to some beautiful Fall colors from the South. The colors weren't quite as brilliant as we had hoped, but we rented a cabin and had a wonderful time. 

In the cabin, there were four bedrooms.  Two of them had bunk beds, but they were queen bunk beds!  The boys got one bedroom and the girls got one.  The girls quickly decided-Tessa on top, Jesikah on bottom.  The boys couldn't decide who should get the top because they both wanted the bottom.  I told them that they could just sleep together on the bottom, but they didn't want that either.  I didn't know how it was going to end up, but I let them work it out.  In the morning, I took this picture.  There they were both on the bottom.  I thought it was sweet.
In Gatlinburg, there is the largest Christmas store in the South and many smaller ones too.  My mom and I really wanted to go to the Christmas Store, and as it turned out, everyone decided to come.  It was really fun looking at all the displays.  I took a few pictures, but this store was amazingly huge and ornate!
I liked these candle lights on the wreath

I also loved the peppermint candy and cupcake lights.  I could envision a sweets themed tree, and then I saw one (of course).


I liked this huge ornament garland.  I am considering making one this year.

Jarem found this bear and couldn't live without it. 

My parents bought me this nativity set that I fell in love with.  Each of their kids have chosen a nativity set which my parents have purchased.  My mom did a big Nativity Festival for years and wanted lots of nativities to display.  The plan was that they would keep them for a few years and then we would get our selected nativity back.  My parents decided to just let me keep this one since they are planning on giving the others back soon also.  I was SO excited!  I love the blue!

Jarem and Tessa outside the store
I did some research online, and decided this restaurant was the place to go for dinner, and it was AWESOME!  It is called the Old Mill Restaurant and everything was not only good, but nearly the best we have ever tasted!  We thought we would be waiting awhile, but even the wait wasn't too bad.


Yummy corn fritters with maple butter! Everyone loved these, especially Alex

Everyone got a cup of corn chowder with their meal.  It was so good!

Jesikah taking our picture while Eric took theirs
After dinner, we took a few pictures outside the restaurant since it is also a historic site.  In the picture below behind me you can see a pond that drops down into a river.  The upper pond used to freeze over and people would iceskate on it in the winter.  There were pictures of it in the restaurant.




All of us happy and well-fed after dinner


Cute family picture
 Everyone enjoyed their meals very much.  Each meal also included dessert.  Eric, and my parents got the pecan pie.  They said it was the best they ever tasted.  Alex got the banana pudding which he protested greatly when I wanted to try it, and I got the blackberry cobbler with ice cream.  The other kids all got ice cream.  After dinner, we shopped at the Old Mill Stores.  We picked up some fudge (YUMMY!), which we ate over the next few days.  Mom and Dad also bought some salt water taffy which was also some of the best I've ever had, and we shopped at the pottery store.  I really enjoyed looking even though it was overpriced, so we didn't buy anything.
When we got home, we played some pool and Eric and the kids enjoyed the hot tub.  There were two hot tubs, so my parents soaked in the other one on the upper deck.  I didn't get in cause of the pregnancy.  I am pretty sure I saw a black bear below though while I was out on the deck with them.  I just couldn't get a good enough look though.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad that the restaurant & food lived up to your expectations! It looked like a really cool place. I love that Christmas store-it reminds me of the one in Leavenworth.

David & Viola Ricks said...

That Old Mill Restaurant was the best! Some of the best food I've ever eaten. The Christmas Store was fun and we just thoroughly enjoyed the evening.