Friday, October 5, 2012

Alex's Eagle Scout Court of Honor

Alex's Eagle Scout Court of Honor Invitation
 On October 5th, we honored Alex at an Eagle Scout Court of Honor.  It was a wonderful night which included many supportive friends and my parents also.  I was so very proud of my boy and all that he has accomplished over the past several years.  He has grown into such a nice responsible young man, and I couldn't have been prouder.  He has learned and grown a lot through Scouting and has really enjoyed it as well.  I really appreciate all his supportive leaders who have helped him along this path.  He couldn't have done it without them.
It is kind of cool that he got the 100 year commemorative patch for 100 years of scouting

My sweet mother pretty much single-handedly made two chiffon cakes (orange and cherry) and oatmeal butterscotch cookies for the refreshments.  We also had cream puffs, pumpkin mini-muffins, and patriotic white chocolate dipped strawberries. 

His YM president, Brother Richards, brought Tang for a drink, which was very fitting because Brother Richards always brought Tang to drink on their campouts so it became a tradition with the boys!

Here's the strawberries.  I just love how they look!

We ordered a cake from Sam's Club.  It turned out nice, but unfortunately some of his hair got cut off due to the banner across the top.  I guess he was due for a haircut anyway.  The cake was delicious though.  It was vanilla and chocolate marbled with whipped cream icing.  It was kind of funny when we got home because somehow all of us had blue icing on us somewhere, and no one knew how it got there.

My mom's cherry chiffon cake!  It was so delicious!

Alex's display table.  He found what he wanted to include on his table the night before and pretty much set it all up himself with some help from Eric.  I thought it looked really nice.  He also put the shadow box badges in the box that day with my dad's help.  He was extremely helpful. I didn't get a picture of the tent and backpack, but Brother Richards brought a tent and backpack that he set-up in the corner which added to the Scouting feel of the night.

Close-up of the shadow box with room for his Life badge


He wrote a hymn which is on that sheet of paper to the left.  It is actually quite good.

This is eagle paper art that a member from church made to display at eagle court of honors.  Alex got his own copy for his binder.

The Eagle's nest:  these are the people in attendance who have their eagle scout award.  It always surprises me how few there are.

Brother Taylor conducted and did his trail to eagle presentation.  He did an outstanding job.

Alex taking the Eagle Scout Oath from his friend, Matt Fuller


Getting ready for his award

Pinning on his award


Putting on his new Eagle neckerchief

Alex pinning on me the mother's pin! (Am hating that shirt I am wearing...it makes me looks huge!) I was in such a rush to get everything ready that I didn't take much care in my own appearance. :(

Not a great picture, but proof that I got a hug from him! :)

Eric getting the father's pin


And his hug...

Alex giving away his mentor pin to Brother Richards.  You can tell by the look on his face that he was touched.



Alex being welcomed into the Eagle's Nest


Brother Richards as the main speaker...Alex has really appreciated all he has done to help him since we moved in the ward 4 years ago.  I thought the mentor pin very appropriately went to him!

Alex with Brother Taylor


Alex and Dad



Alex with his friends and fellow eagles: Matt and Derek

And the three of them with Brother Richards
There were a few pictures that I wish I would have gotten: One with me and Alex, and one with Alex and his grandparents, and maybe one with the siblings too.  It was just distracting with all that was going on, and trying to serve refreshments as well.  But regardless, it was a great night, and I hope it always stays bright in my memory!

Oh, and by the way, if you didn't notice, Alex got his braces off a few weeks ago and his driver's license even though we had to drive 2 hours each way, so he is a happy camper!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Congrats to Alex! What a wonderful accomplishment! I love the pics of your belly. I was wondering when I was going to get to see you looking pregnant :)

Anonymous said...

way to go Alex! my brother just had his court of honor too, it's so neat all the work they put into their eagles! Good for him for gettting it done.

And I was actually thinking that was a really cute outfit and I love that you are starting to look pregnant! Do more updates! :)

David & Viola Ricks said...

We were so honored and pleased to be there. It was such good program and we were so proud of Alex. He is such a good boy and will go far in his life. Thank you for inviting us.