Monday, October 29, 2012

Carving Pumpkins

This year, for the first time in quite a while, I decided that we should carve pumpkins as a family.  Now that the kids are older, I figured it would be much more enjoyable.  We did it when the kids were younger and it was just a lot of work for Eric and I and the kids lost interest so we kind of dropped the tradition, but this year it was AWESOME!!  I bought two of the pumpkin masters books that included the tools and the kids had been looking through them for a few weeks ahead getting excited about which ones they were going to do. 

So, on Monday, October 29th, for family home evening, we carved our pumpkins for Halloween!  It was so great.  The kids each gutted and carved their very own pumpkin except Alex who said he had too much homework.  Eric did one as well and Jarem and I did his together, but Jarem did about 98% of the gutting and Eric finished that (which is my least favorite part).  Anyway, we had a very enjoyable evening together carving pumpkins and I am so glad we decided to try it again!

Everyone finished gutting and getting started with the carving. 

Tessa attaching her pattern

Jesikah just starting to carve

Finished and all lit up (Jesikah and Eric's)

Tessa's and Jarem (and I's)

Everyone behind their pumpkin, but their faces were too dark so I tried again.


They backed up a few steps and I could see their faces.
Tessa accidentally stepped on Jarem's finger just before the picture so he was crying and we told him to just smile, but he just couldn't muster one.  When we went back inside, he was still crying (which I thought was about the finger), but after it had for a few minutes, I asked him what was wrong.  He said he felt bad because his only memory of the night of carving pumpkins would be the picture with the crying face and he wanted to remember that he had a good time.  So, I took the camera back outside and got two more pictures of him with the jack-o-lanterns (below) and he felt happy.  He is a sentimental boy and that is one of the things I love about him.  The kids kept mentioning how much they loved doing it, especially Jarem and Tessa.  It's nights like this that make the frustrating days of arguing kids melt away and make me so happy to have such a great family!  It was a great night!!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Wow! The pumpkins turned out really great. We are not good about carving pumpkins either, because the last time we did it the girls were small (gabby says she doesn't even remember it and it was before the blog so we have no proof!) and it was such a pain. This year she did one at a friend's house. I felt kind of guilty that we haven't done it as a family in so long. You have inspired me to do better next year! Cute story about Jarem at the end!

The Scarths said...

nice! They look great. I am glad you had a good time.

6L's said...

I'm so glad to hear this!! My kids love pumpkin carving but I have to do it for them. It's nice to have it to look forward to! I love all your pumpkins. We'll have to try those kits another Halloween. :)

David & Viola Ricks said...

I just loved the pumpkins They were amazing and looked so awesome. Don't know how you get so many projects done.