Saturday, January 9, 2010

Slush for Breakfast

Wednesday night, the kids were all determined that school was going to be cancelled because snow was in the forecast for Thursday morning.  (It doesn't take much to get school cancelled around here.)  The girls learned somewhere that if they do the following things the night before, it will snow and school will be cancelled:

1) Wear their pajamas inside out
2) Flush an ice cube down the toilet
3) Put a spoon upside down under their pillow
4) Do a snow dance outside before bed

So, Wednesday night Jesikah, Tessa, and Jarem did all these things.  In fact, they even went the extra mile and all of us found spoons upside down under our pillows too.  Well, sure enough, the phone rang at 5:30am letting me know that school had been cancelled.  I informed the kids they didn't need to get up and I went back to bed and enjoyed sleeping in for a change.

When I woke up, I could hear the kids eating breakfast, so I went downstairs.  Sure enough, they each had a bowl and were eating.  On closer examination though, it wasn't cereal, it was a white slushy substance.  I asked what they were eating, and they said, "ice cream".

This was the bowl they were serving from

I asked them who made it (I should've known)...Alex, of course!

Mom: Alex, what did you put in it?
Alex: Just milk, sugar, and vanilla
Mom: How did you make it slushy?
Everyone: We all went out and got snow!
Alex: Then we mixed it all together and had ice cream.

Hmmm...

9 comments:

Nadia said...

Well I guess that's what happens when the mom isn't up making the kids breakfast!

Susan said...

I agree with Nadia..ha ha. Sleeping in..what a luxury! Your kids are quite imaginative :)

Carroll Family said...

Ha, ha! - that's funny

Christie said...

LOL So good to know that someone else has kids that do weird stuff like that! :-) My kids would have totally done that!

Jenn said...

Awesome!! Inventive kids!!

snapie said...

I think I want some:)

6L's said...

this is what we call snow cream! tell them it tastes much better in the blender w/more snow. :) you can also add bananas or diff flavor extracts...yum!

Anonymous said...

haha that's pretty cute! Your kids sure don't lack in creativity- and I can see that they get it from their parents :)

Unknown said...

Great idea- I will try this next time it snows