Thursday, September 22, 2011

Nothing to Do

So lately, I've realized that my children think I have nothing to do at home while they are at school...just an abundance of free time to relax and do whatever I want.

A couple of nights ago when Alex was on dish duty, Alex had the nerve to insist that I should have to do all the dishes since I don't have anything else to do.  Eric sent him to his room and they had about an hour long talk about that.

Then on Tuesday night, we had a reporter come to our house.  This reporter writes an article each week in the "Faith and Values" section of the local newspaper.  He wanted to do an article on our Monday night Family Home Evenings that we do in our church.  He asked Eric, I, and each of the kids several questions. 

At one point he asked Tessa, "Do you think your family home evenings bring you closer to God and your family?" 

Tessa said, "Well it seems like we are so busy everyday that sometimes we don't always remember God, like my dad goes to work and he is busy there, my mom takes care of the kids...well I guess she doesn't anymore...I don't really know what she does...oh I know, my mom blogs...and then we all go to school so it gives us a chance to have a night to think about spiritual things."

Yes, I was less than thrilled that Tessa thinks the only thing that I do is blog and even more thrilled that she shared that with the reporter!  And, I am pretty sure that I still take care of the kids!!  As most of  you know, I only blog usually once every 1-2 weeks so guess I'm not even good at that.  :) 

So after the reporter left, I told Eric, "I can't believe that all the kids seem to think I have all of this free time to do anything I want while they are at school.  Alex thinks I should make myself busy by doing dishes so he won't have to and Tessa thinks all that I do is blog ."  And we had a good laugh.  Alex overheard our conversation and said, "Well mom, I guess we just don't understand what you do, so maybe you should make a video so we can see what you do."   I actually thought this was a good idea because a lot of what I do is "behind the scenes" type stuff that makes the household run smoothly but things they probably would never know or just don't even think about.  So yesterday, I made a video of all the things I did while they were at school.  Maybe we will just watch it for Family Home Evening next week! :)

(By the way, the article is going to be in the Saturday Leaf Chronicle for anyone that is interested).  Hopefully he doesn't include the "blog" part. :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe you should just NOT do all the stuff you usually do and let them see that. Of course, getting back on track might not be worth it.

Nikki said...

Too funny! I know what you mean. It's a thankless, unnoticed job that we do. I like the idea of catching it on film!

Susan said...

Ah, kids, they just don't realize what life is really like. They will soon enough, though, when they have kids of their own. You are a great mom and they are lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is hilarious! How frustrating for you though...well maybe not if you can relieve your frustration by blogging all the time lol ;). Sometimes I do get nothing done though, I need to tell Jared to quit asking what I get done during the day since nowadays it's pretty pidley. Post the article when it comes out!!

Carroll Family said...

I TOTALLY want to see the video!!!!!!!!! What a GREAT idea!!!

6L's said...

i'm so bummed the video isn't included!! darn kids, they haven't a clue! YET. ;) definitely post the article when it comes out. i feel much busier since the kids have been in school.....not sure why. funny tessa, you blog soooo much rozanne, lol! i seriously loved this post! my kids have asked me why they have to do everything all the time and why don't i help? right.

Jenn said...

Logan commented the other day that I should get a job because I don't do anything and that his wife would work! I put him in his place REALLY quickly! Kids!! LOL! And I want to see the video and article too!! =D

Linda said...

This was incredibly familiar to all us moms--I see a light at the end though--my 18 year old (who is out of high school and is now seeing things behind the scenes)said the other day, "I don't know how you and dad deal with all the things have to without going crazy." Me neither son. But then yesterday I was complaining about food costing so much and I had just come home from the grocery store and hannah goes, "well, you did spend half your money on junk food"--oh, I about died, it was so funny (especially when i read this post) BUT in my defense, I had bags full of materials to make some of those gourmet caramel/chocolate apples and in your defense (and all us moms who've heard things like this before)--if your kids think you do nothing--it's because you do it SO WELL and make it look so easy--so you are doing a GREAT JOB! And one day...a long, long, time from now...your kids will know it too. :-)

snapie said...

This was great! Got to love the kids:) Ha!