Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Great Smokies

On Saturday, Eric and Kyle (his brother) decided that we should all take a little last minute Labor Day rendezvous and visit the Great Smoky Mountains.  We had enough Marriott Rewards points to cover our hotel stay for 2 nights.  We didn't have any other plans, and I've only seen the Smokies while driving through to other places, so we made the decision to go, packed up and left.

We arrived in Knoxville, TN on Saturday evening.  The first thing we did was head to Texas Roadhouse.  This was our very first time there and it was very good.  Unfortunately, I left my purse there and didn't realize it until we got back to the hotel.  Fortunately though, we called and they had it.  I got it back and nothing was missing!  Whew!


After spending the night at a Marriott Hotel there, we had a little church in the car Sunday morning as we headed up to Clingman's Dome.   On our way to Clingman's Dome, we passed through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.  These are both very touristy places which we have never been.  There were people everywhere and the roads were JAMMED with cars.  We had fun looking at all the interesting attractions in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. 

This building in Gatlinburg is upside down


A Titanic attraction that we passed by

Our destination





 Jarem and the girls loved climbing and walking on all these big rocks


Captured a picture of him even though he tried to get away!

Jarem was showing me how he could keep his balance on top of the rock with the steep tip. Just as I took the picture, he started to topple and started to laugh.  Then he tried again and I got one with him balancing. It was bigger and more pointed than it appears.





Couldn't find Eric and then I noticed he was first in line for the restroom.

Kyle and Baby Taegan

All of our family minus Alex (who had taken off somewhere) just before the hike.

This was a 0.5 mile, but very steep, hike up to the highest point in the Smokies


 Since Alex called Jarem a name while in the car, he owed him a service.  Jarem called in his service at the perfect time when he was whining about being so tired on the hike.  Alex carried him up the rest of the way.  Alex was a good sport about it.  Whenever Jarem starts getting uncomfortable or tired, suddenly everything hurts.  He was telling me the back of his neck was getting SO sweaty and burning...

A few pictures on the way up:




Above is Clingman's Dome.  This is the highest point in Tennessee and of the Great Smokies.  There is an observation tower where you can get a better view.  Kyle and Jessica are heading up.







Heading back down, recognize anyone?

Some moss on one of the trees. I thought it was so pretty.

On the trail to Clingman's Dome, we passed the connection to the Appalachian Trail

Like Father like son...heading back down the trail



After leaving this area, we drove to Asheville, North Carolina.  Eric's family lived in this area when I met him, but I never had been there.  We drive through some very pretty country.  The Smokies were very close:

Our hotel for the night:  it was very nice
 Kyle even got us into the concierge's lounge where they have meals and snacks all day for Gold Member guests.

Our view from the hotel room:  Asheville is very beautiful!

11 comments:

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

Oh, and that upside down building was really cool.

Susan said...

Sorry, I keep seeing typos so I keep deleting my posts! Your family picture turned out really cute. I like that observation deck and the scenery is very beautiful. That was nice of Alex to carry Jarem. Gabby still tries to get Scott to carry her places, but she's a bit too big now ;) She is taller than me.

Unknown said...

Loved seeing all your pictures. Gatlinburg is one of my favorite places, but it's usually so crowded lately that it's not worth it. Pigeon Forge is better. Thanks for taking us along vicariously!

Cindy Ricks said...

I love the upside down building that is pretty cool. It looks like you had a good time. Also love the picture of Eric and Jarem walking alike.

Linda said...

Wait a minute! Was Alex already taller than you last time you were here? He just suddenly looked so much taller in these pictures! I love that you got a nice trip in despite the awful weather around here. And your pictures are just gorgeous--it is like looking through a beautiful book that I wish I had!

Jenn said...

What fun!! I love the Smokies and Gatlinburg. We used to go at least once a year, in the Fall, when I was growing up. The last time I went to Clingman's Dome was for our honeymoon. It was the end of October and was freezing up there! It started snowing hard too! It was sticking to the roads. I was worried that we would get stuck up there...lol. =)

David & Viola Ricks said...

Looks like a great "last hurrah" before winter hits! My favorite picture also was the one of Eric and Jarem walking alike. The scenery is gorgeous.

6L's said...

rozanne! i can't beleive it but we were there at the same time! we had gone down on wednesday and were leaving saturday for our reunion (glad we missed the business!) too bad we missed y'all.....lore REALLY wanted to do clingman's dome but we ran out of time before heading to NC. anyway, loved your pictures! we found another appalacian entrance in NC that i posted on my blog. too funny!

Candace said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I love the pictures the other people mentioned, but probably my favorites were the ones of Jarem on the rock. Very cute "in the moment" pictures!