Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Baby is Off to School

Tuesday, August 11, 2010

Last Friday was the kid's first day of school, but for Jarem, it was just a meeting for the kids and parents together and then we went back home, so no separation yet.  For Kindergarten, the first 2 weeks of school they do testing and every child goes to school only 2 times in two weeks (only about 5-6 kids at a time). 

Today was Jarem's first day of 2 full-days in the first 2 weeks.  It was his first time to stay alone at school all day.  Eric and I went together with him and were planning to walk him down to his classroom and help him get settled and say our goodbyes, but all the Kindergarten teachers were standing up front when we walked in, and we had to say goodbye there.  He wasn't sad though, he was happy to see his teacher (who he says is the nicest teacher in the whole school---and he may be right)!  He gave me and Eric a big hug and kiss and we headed out.  On the way out, Eric asked me if I was sad.  I said "Of course", and that is when I started tearing up.  But, I managed to keep it in check until Eric went to work and I was alone at home.  As he was walking out the door, I felt the tears coming.  I would be alone all day without my little sidekick that I've had for so long.  All through this morning, I kept seeing his little stuffed animals he likes to play with or thinking, "I need to go check on Jarem" or "I wonder where Jarem is".  It's been different without him here.  I do miss him.  To keep my mind off my baby being gone, I've been cleaning and doing lots of laundry...at least I feel like I've accomplished a lot.

Jarem is my first to go to full-day kindergarten.  He also is my hardest to let go just because he is the youngest and having him gone all day is going to be a bit hard on me.  Ever since we first started talking to him going to Kindergarten, he has said he didn't want to go.  He is my first child to NOT WANT to go to Kindergarten.  He says he wants to stay home with Mom.  This morning on the way to school I asked him if he was excited and he said, "No, I'm kind of nervous."  He didn't want to get up this morning, but he was excited to get his new school clothes on and take his lunch (because he loves his new lunch box that he bought).  Hopefully his first day goes well.  He does have an awesome teacher, so I'm grateful for that.

Here are some pictures of his first day:

His "mischevious smile" was the only one he could conjure up

Jarem and Tessa ready for school

Getting off the bus after-school

Tessa was a good girl to watch out for her little brother.  He just LOVES Tessa.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

UPDATE: After talking to a couple of good friends that day, I was much more upbeat and happy.  Then he went to his second day of school last Tuesday, August 17th.  That was the day that I recognized a new freedom.  I went to a PTO meeting without finding arrangements for Jarem, and I went to the bank twice and accomplished so much.  I did miss the little guy, but I wasn't so sad like the first day.  Not only that, but this beautiful arrangement of flowers showed up at my doorstep around 11am. 

It came with a note attached: "Congratulations on your new found freedom! Love, Eric". I was very surprised and happy, but mostly, it made me feel good to know that my sweet husband was aware and in-tune with my feelings even though this wasn't really a big change for him, he knew it was for me.


While I was doing PTO business, I went and peaked into his classroom to see if he looked happy. He was sitting right next to the door on the computer and was smiling and laughing. He was interacting with a boy next to him. I thought about how much he will enjoy having friends. He is a social child. It warmed my heart that he was happy. Of course, I will be helping in his class and Tessa's class often and I'll now have the flexibility to have lunch with the kids sometimes at school.


Tomorrow he officially starts full-days everyday, so we'll see how it goes... :)

3 comments:

Susan said...

It is hard when the last one starts school. I'm glad that you will be able to have some time to yourself even if it means cleaning ;)

the Sayler's said...

That's a big step mom...I'm glad you handled it so well.

Unknown said...

What a thoughtful husband! You better hang on to him!