Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tie-dye cupcakes

Jesikah was looking through our cupcakes cookbook, and came across a recipe she thought she would like for her birthday cake.  Since Tessa's birthday cake didn't turn out so well, we thought we would do a trial run.  Jesikah had her last girls achievement day activity for church before she turns 12 last night and she wanted to take a treat.  This is what we came up with:

The cupcakes had mini M&M's in them.  Jesikah loves to be in the kitchen and help cook, and she is very capable now too.  It is fun to cook with her.  Her favorite things to make are desserts, so she was a lot of help.  In the end, she was happy with the results and I thought they turned out good too, but they took way too long to frost for me and her! :) In the end, it didn't look tie-dye either, so I'm going to look around for something else that looks more tie-dye for her birthday cake.

Jesikah has expressed to me that she has mixed feelings about all the changes coming up in her life...turning 12, middle school, starting the young woman program at church, puberty, etc.  She not ready to give up toys, but she's noticing that kids her age don't play with toys much anymore.  She, Tessa, and Jarem still have a good time playing toys together.  I told her she doesn't have to give up toys, she can just say she's playing with her younger siblings.  What I didn't tell her is that I have mixed feelings about her growing up too. :) (By the way, if you see her, don't mention the mixed feelings thing, cause she is a little sensitive about it)

2 comments:

Linda said...

I can't believe all those kids I taught are going into YM/YW! They grow way too fast! (Except when they are in diapers--that seems to take forever)

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes turned out cute! You can tell Jesikah that I'm also the oldest- I didn't exactly know how to grow up for along time. At her age, I'm pretty sure I was still playing Barbie's with my younger sister in secret. So go ahead and play with toys! You'll be big the rest of your life!