Wednesday, September 16, 2009

School News

#1 This is a picture of the girls next to the "Best of the Best" wall at their school. This bulletin board is just as you walk in the school. The principal goes around and chooses the best pieces of work (one from each class) and displays them on this board. Tessa and Jesikah both made it on the best of the best wall at the same time too, so I had to get their picture. Tessa is pointing to hers above. It is an assignment on nouns and verbs with liftable flaps. Jesikah's is a map of Tennessee that she made with three liftable flaps showing landforms and agriculture in different areas of Tennessee. Good job girls!

#2 In other notable school news, I got a call from the PTO president last week asking me if I'd be willing to be treasurer for the PTO. She said she saw on my membership form that I had been PTO Secretary before. After explaining to me all the responsibilities of the treasurer, I somewhat reluctantly told her I would be willing to do it, if they needed me to.

Well, later that evening, I get an email from her informing me (in a vague sort of way) that she had called two other people who had also said they would be interested in being treasurer (they wanted some options I guess)... She wanted us all to meet at the school on Monday morning during their PTO board meeting. Then, during the meeting, they would call us each into the meeting one at a time to ask us questions and then we could all leave and they would vote. The lucky winner got to be the treasurer, and WOULDN"T THEY BE LUCKY?!? :)

Let me just say, have you ever been interviewed for a job you didn't apply for? And further, have you ever been interviewed for a VOLUNTEER position that you didn't volunteer for? Well, one of the three of us said she was OUT (the smart one)! And the other two of us suckers showed up at the school to get grilled. Well, I ended up being the really big sucker because I was the LUCKY WINNER!! Aren't I lucky?

What they didn't tell me until later was that the previous treasurer quit because it was too demanding and school had been in session only 2 weeks before he quit...not a good sign. I'm even more nervous now that I've been the treasurer almost two days and already received at least 15 or more emails from the PTO president plus I already met with her yesterday. She is quite the go-getter! I may end up being another statistic. I like being involved with the school and the PTO(don't get me wrong), but I have to admit, I really didn't think it was right the way they handled it. I'm already Jesikah's room mother, isn't that enough?

#3 I just wanted to share some of Tessa's spelling words from last week. My kids have all done lists of spelling word contractions before, but these were a little different than the typical ones I'm used to. They definitely have a bit of Southern flair.
mightn't
mustn't
needn't
what'll
this'll
I was surprised aintn't wasn't on there. :) Certainly the south isn't known for their proper grammar. I'm constantly correcting the kids.

Child: "There ain't no pie in the fridge Mom."
Mom: "You mean, isn't any?"

I'm joking, they aren't really that bad yet, but I do find myself correcting them often.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha lucky you! That's pretty funny- not for you of course. Good luck, hopefully it won't be TOO demanding...though based on the previous tresurer's experience, I woulnd't count on it. Good luck!

Christie said...

Lucky lucky you. You gotta lay low sister. :-) Oh man, I worry about the time demands of PTO. I've still not joined one.

Fourtner Family said...

#1 Way to go girls! You must feel so proud! Ally loves Jesi's map! #2 I'm laughing and feeling bad for you at the same time, & #3 love those contractions--thanks for sharing!

Nadia said...

I knew right away that you were taking a photography class and sure enough as I read on I found out you were. Nice pictures. Good luck with your new job. It sounds like it might be a full time or more kind of gig!

Tami said...

Those spelling words are hilarious! Are those words even in the dictionary? I can't believe that you are the new PTO Treasurer. Good for you! At least it will be a great way to get to know everyone in the school.