Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Free Tennis Courts, anyone?

Alex decided not to do football this year, and soccer for boys isn't until spring, so he joined the newly formed middle school tennis league. He loves to play tennis and one of his friends from church is also doing it. The problem: where to practice?

There are, on the high school/middle school grounds, tennis courts, but they are always locked. I contacted the person who is in charge of the courts this morning to find out if we could get access to them. Here is the response I received:

"Ms Bass, those stay locked and I cannot give out keys. Sorry"

It makes no sense to me. My son GOES to the school and is on the middle school league representing their school, but they are not allowed to use their tennis courts. I'm told that their insurance covers middle school students too, so I just don't see what the issue is. Where we came from in Washington, the high school tennis courts were always open for public use.

So last night we found some tennis courts across town and dropped off Alex and his friend to practice. He called me 10 minutes later saying they had to pay $4 an hour to use the tennis courts. Are you kidding me? I did find out that the fees start after 5:30pm, so we'll be going early from now on, but still, it's across town. Why not the school courts...any feedback?

2 comments:

Heather said...

That stinks! I would fight a little to see what could come of it.

Fourtner Family said...

Talk to the principal?? Maybe they could leave them open for an hour after school? Or two nights a week?