Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Photography Class

I have been wanting to learn more about my camera and how to take better pictures for awhile, so I finally enrolled in a photography class at the local college here. Last week, it started and will last six-weeks. To my surprise, there are only 3 of us in the class, so we get lots of individual attention. I've learned so much already and I've only been to one class so far.

Our assignment for this week was to take lots of pictures and read our camera manual. It has been both fun and frustrating this week taking pictures with the new information. For the class, we are required to only take pictures in manual mode using only natural light. So the frustrating part is when I am in a hurry and can't get the light set quickly enough. I felt a little frustrated when we went to Riverfest this weekend and I couldn't get the settings adjusted correctly. I was going from shade to bright sun to overcast, etc, and everytime I had to change the settings before I could take a picture. I admit that I did cheat a couple of times and change it to Auto mode. However, on just a typical evening or morning, it has been fun adjusting the settings to change the picture because I don't usually have to keep changing them once they are set.

I don't know much yet, so you photographers out there, don't be too hard on me! :) Here are some pictures that I have taken for my class this week:

This picture below is of Jarem taking a nap. Sometimes, he just puts himself down for a nap if he gets tired while playing. This was one of those days. After I shot a couple of pictures, I accidentally woke him up and so I put the camera away. He said, "No mom, I want you to take a picture". I said, "Ok then go back to sleep" and he did.


The next several pictures are random ones I took of the kids playing outside with thier friends one evening:
















The next pictures I took at sunrise behind our house when the mist was rising off the ground:


I love the natural light in these two of Jarem. It was about 7:30am. His poor little face is still recovering from his sunburn.




Funny boy picked his own poses and I just took pictures. This one I caught him when he was laughing at himself. Jarem loves having his picture taken.

10 comments:

Christie said...

Your doing so well. :-) how fun!!

Christie said...

I meant "You're", and I wanted to tell you that I like your landscapes. You must have a steady hand to get such clarity in those morning hours

Heather said...

That is so cool! I would love to learn how to take better pictures, but I think I need something better than my little point and shoot. Nice job!

Susan said...

Great pics, I am jealous that you will know so much more about your camera than I will about mine. Mine pretty much stays on "auto". It would be cool to actually know how it works! You will have to teach me since our cameras are very similar.

Anonymous said...

I think that your pictures look really good! That should be a fun class for you since you like to take neat pictures, have fun!

Holly said...

Love the landscape pictures. I think they look good. As you go you will learn more and get better. Keep trying.

Unknown said...

Your pics look great! you better be taking really good notes to teach me!

Fourtner Family said...

Nice work! I hope you really enjoy your class--I agree with you on that time away being golden! Have fun!

Nadia said...

Now I have to look at someone else's blog that has beautiful pictures on it and mine doesn't! Good for you at taking a class. When I have time (and a little better camera) I plan on doing that too. Keep up the nice work!

Michelle said...

I just told Steven the other day that I wanted a better camara and wanted to take a Photography Class. I enjoy taking pictures and wish I did a better job. I love all your pictures!!