Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Imagine... Whirled Peace!

The girl's school celebrated International Day of Peace 2009 by making "pinwheels for peace". It was part of a worldwide effort to promote peace. Their website estimated that there were 3 million pinwheels spinning on September 21st, 2009, in countries around the world! Their principal spoke about ways of promoting peace within their school and the whole school sang, "Give Peace a Chance". Then each child planted their pinwheel. It was a very pretty site and turned out to be a nice day even though we've had a lot of rain.

Tessa and her classmates blowing their pinwheels while waiting for everyone to gather.

Holding up their pinwheels

Jesikah with her classmates and pinwheel


Jesikah again



Jesikah letting Jarem hold her pinwheel.


Most of the kids all held up their pinwheels while the principal was talking.


Another view, you can see Jesikah from behind


Jesikah standing next to her teacher, Mrs. Watson, during the principal's speech.


Tessa planting her pinwheel


Not a great picture of Jesikah, but her shirt was planned, "Give Peas a Chance". It was the same as the song they sang with the exception of the Peace for Peas.


Jesikah also had peace socks that matched.

Jesikah after planting her pinwheel. I had my telephoto lens on because I wanted to get some good distance closeups, but as it turned out I didn't need it. It was hard to get all of her unless I backed way up.
Below: a few photos of the pinwheels after the kids went inside.


8 comments:

Nikki said...

That's a neat idea. It looks like you have had some rain like we have. When are you going to come down and see us?

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

What a fun school event! Your photography class paid off, I love your photos.

Candace said...

Wow, you've done a lot of blog entries since I last checked. Looks like you guys are having lots of fun and staying busy. I love the pictures that you've been taking. That is so cool that you are in a photograpy class. I'm jealous! Where's Alex? He must really hate getting his picture taken, and obviously Jarem loves it. He has the cutest expressions. I felt bad for his poor little sunburned face. Its great seeing what you guys are up to. Tell everyone hi.

Susan said...

That is such a great idea...kids love pinwheels, and I have to admit I still do, too! Is that the "Peas" shirt she got while we were in Tennessee? It's really cute.

Linda said...

I love this idea! Where did you get the "peas" shirt? I don't think my kids' schools participated in this thing. Bummer. Your pictures are awesome.

Christie said...

Thats really cool. Sure wish the sango school would relax a bit. :-)

snapie said...

Your pictures are great!

Unknown said...

Did you know Ben and Jerry have an ice cream flavor called Imagine Whirled Peace?