Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ice Storm

It's always interesting to move to a new part of the country. Weather like this just doesn't happen in Idaho where I grew up. :) Here they call it freezing rain or an ice storm. It is raining but it turns into ice when it hits the ground. We haven't had any snow days, but today is the second time the kids have gotten out of school for freezing rain. The roads really are very dangerous to drive on in weather like this. If you look in some of the pictures, you can see how slick the surfaces look. All the trees look beautiful like this with icicles hanging all over them.

Look at those icicles! These are our outdoor speakers that project onto the deck. We haven't used them yet due to winter. I asked the guy who installed them how I should cover them in the winter, and he said, "They are weather-proof, you don't have to do anything". Maybe I should have followed my instinct and covered them anyway. :) I sure hope he's right.

Icicles all over our back deck! They are along the top and the bottom rails and posts.

This is one of the bushes in front of our house.

Looks like someone forgot to put the soccer ball away. Even the soccer ball has icicles. The icicles on the bottom rail here go all the way to the deck bottom. Here you can also see the surface of the post...how slippery it looks.

8 comments:

Carroll Family said...

Ice storms can be so beautiful - but yet so deadly! We just missed a couple big ones in Missouri - did you see any there?

Michelle said...

I love the picture of the deck that is amazing. Be careful with all that ICE. I watched the national weather today and it can be pretty scary out there.
Thanks for the comment on my blog. My parents do live in Wa and they did not ride the scooter to see us. That scooter was my nephew's while he was at the Y. My dad was just having a little fun! I grew up in Tx until I was 15 then we moved to Wa. So I say I am from Wa that is home to me.

Anonymous said...

Wow that's crazy! It is beautiful! That is really something, our whether right now is in the 70's and windy/sunny. Such a difference!

BeforeFamily said...

Yup it is hitting us too! I feel so lucky to live in a place that has ice storms! I want the snow back! I hope that the icing is over, as the more you get, the heavier the powerlines/tree/ect get, and I would hate your power to go out!!

Susan said...

This winter has been quite eventful! I'm glad we're not getting the ice around here although we did get about an inch of snow this morning. It's all been washed away by the rain. Stay warm & safe! Very pretty pictures!

Fourtner Family said...

Beautiful but dangerous! I remember when that happened here, in WA, about 20 years ago and there was so much damage and power outages--just like so much of your region. Hope you guys just to enjoy the beauty part of it! Very cool (ha, ha) pictures.

Tami said...

Wow! All of that ice looks pretty to me, but probably isn't too fun for you. Luckily it won't stay forever. I am surprised that you had an ice storm in the south. It looks like you guys are doing well!

Candace said...

Wow, those pictures are amazing. I've never seen anything like that! It looks beautiful, but I wouldn't want to be in it. Hopefully things have warmed and melted by now.