Monday, November 12, 2012

Alex's Birthday

I asked Alex if he wanted to do anything special for his 17th birthday, and he said "no". He said 17 is really nothing special and so we could just do something small. We had a little family birthday party that was very low key that morning and he opened his presents. Since his birthday was on Sunday, he ended up giving a talk on his birthday (which was a nice little birthday present). After church we had dinner and DQ cookie dough ice cream cake for dessert.

Presents

Jesikah and Jarem attached bags of candy to their gifts since they know he loves sweets!

He got some new Aeropostale t-shirts and polos

Here he is opening the case of Sprite that Jesikah gave him.  He loves Sprite (as you can tell)!

Reading the card from Jarem.  It was really cute!

Holding another Aeropostale shirt

Black-out curtains for his room at  his request so he can sleep-in on the weekends. :)

A new sweatshirt

New headphones from Tessa with the outside sound barrier

Yummy ice cream cake
I told him to make a birthday list so I would know what he wanted.  On his list were: new shirts, sweatshirts, headphones, blackout curtains, cash, and lastly, a girl!  I thought that was funny!  He obviously didn't get the girl, but got a little of everything else.

I was very proud of Alex as he gave his talk on his birthday.  He is way beyond his years when it comes to scriptural and gospel knowledge.  The talk was amazing and written 100% by him.  He is a deep thinker and really looks deep for meaning and understanding.  He has always been a good example to his siblings and those around him by keeping high morals and standards and sticking to the values he has set for himself.  Even if I wasn't his mother, I would admire him.  He truly is an example to all those around him.  He went through a few rough teenage years of being hard to get along with at home, but he has emerged with a greater respect for his parents and an appreciation for his siblings and a broader perspective on life.  He wants to give back what he has been given by being an influence for good on the younger youth like the older ones have been to him when he was struggling to find his identity.  He has a good sense of humor.  He is always setting goals working toward improving himself.  He has set high goals for his grades and has maintained almost straight A's for all of high school.  He doesn't need or expect much to be satisfied.  As he turns 17, I am a little saddened to realize that I don't have much time left with him at home.  I hope I have taught him all that I should have.  I love you Alex and I am proud to call you my son.

1 comment:

6L's said...

This is so sweet! He is SUCH a wonderful young man and you and Eric deserve credit for all your hard work! I love that he asked for blackout curtains to sleep in, I can so relate to that in my teen years!