Thursday, November 10, 2011

Eric's Trip to Vanderbilt

I had to take Eric to Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville this week (Tuesday, Nov 8).  He had a growth/mole removed on his face during the last week of September that had suddenly appeared and grown at an alarming rate.  When it was removed, they thought it was benign, but after sending it to pathology, it ended up being squamous cell carcinoma. 

See the growth next to his left eye-that is what was removed
Eric had to have MOHS surgery done at Vanderbilt. This is where they cut deep below the surface to get surrounding tissue and then do samples for pathology to make sure they got it all. I was nervous for him because the spot was right next to his left eye where his optical nerve is. It all worked out though, and since I am writing this later, I can say that it is healing quite well. They say that it is quite common to get more of these after you have had one, so he needs to be very careful about wearing sunscreen. Everyone in the office waiting was over 70, and when I finally thought I saw someone our age, I realized he was waiting for his mother. The lady that prepped us said that the average age for this surgery is 75. I guess it must be due to all Eric's sun exposure as a child that he got this so young.




All bandaged up

1 comment:

6L's said...

wow, 75!! that's crazy!