Saturday, October 29, 2011

Rubber Bands



Rubber Band Wear



•Rubber bands are to be worn 24-hours per day, except when eating or brushing your teeth. Failure to wear your rubber bands, as instructed, can result in treatment running longer than expected. It may also affect the finished orthodontic treatment result.


•Change your rubber bands at least a few times per day with new rubber bands. Typically when you eat meals and brush your teeth. The rubber bands will eventually lose their elasticity.

THE END RESULT, IN ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT, IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE PATIENT THAT FOLLOWS INSTRUCTIONS!


Yes, these are the same instructions Alex was given 6 weeks ago when his orthodontist introduced him to rubber bands.  He was less than thrilled (as we all were).  He tried them out for a few days, he felt the pain was relentless and wouldn't go away.  He didn't want to bother with them.  He would put them in when I would nag him about it, but I didn't nag nearly enough and he NEVER wore them otherwise.  I kept warning him about having his braces on longer, etc.  He wasn't concerned.  Well yesterday he went back to the orthodontist for his 6 week check-up.  As you may have guessed, they told him, "YOU HAVE TO WEAR YOUR RUBBER BANDS ALL THE TIME IN ORDER FOR THEM TO WORK."  Then they talked to me about it.  I notice that he wore them all day yesterday and last night, so I HOPE he has learned his lesson.  I already warned him that if we go another month without making any progress, he will pay the monthly bill.  And, I think he understands how serious I am about that!

3 comments:

Susan said...

We haven't gotten to the rubber bands yet with Corey, but I remember being really bad about wearing mine....

6L's said...

oh, how i remember the pains of rubberband wear! don't drag it out, alex!

Anonymous said...

I hated my rubber bands too.- I think I had them for half my braces- wearing years. Not enjoyable- but the end result wAs worth it!