Friday, October 28, 2011

High Heels

So, I mentioned shopping for high heels in my last post.  Here's the story:

Jesikah tried out for the middle school play over a month ago.  She got a part as an "understudy".  If you don't know what that is (cause I didn't), it means that she is a substitute for the real person who got the part.  She still has to show up to all the practices(which are twice a week until March), memorize all the lines, and get all the clothes, shoes, etc...but she probably won't even be in the play.  She might.  I have tried to be positive about it because she was really happy she got a part and has really been trying to find her niche lately.

But, this high heel thing has just recently pushed me over the edge to grumpy.  She came home this week after her Monday practice and said that she IS REQUIRED to have high heels (as high as you can find) for her part.  Like many of you, I was less than thrilled for these reasons:

1) I feel she is too young to wear super high heels.  A small heel is ok, but I feel that super high heels make girls look promiscuous and make boys notice them.  There is just something about some types of heels that makes a girl feel "sexy" and I don't want that for my girl...not yet. 
2) She doesn't own any, and I don't want to buy her first pair for a PLAY.
3) Once she has them, she will want to wear them other times too.
4) Shoes are expensive and she is very picky about what she likes and doesn't.
5) There is a good chance she won't even be in the play, so it would be a waste.

So, that said, I decided I would look at Goodwill while I was there two nights ago for some lightly used heels.  Low and behold, I found some that had a decent size heel that I felt comfortable with, and they looked new in Jesikah's size!!  Yeah!!  I brought them home, she complained about them, said they were the wrong color, and then finally decided that she liked them and they would work.  Whew!  The following day she went to drama practice and came home last night telling me that wedges aren't allowed.  Well that would have been nice to know.  So it is back to square one.  Last night while we were shopping for costume accessories, we looked at the heels.  They are so expensive, and I really can't stand to see her in the super high ones.  What to do, what to do???


These are the wedges at found at Goodwill...they look new!

2 comments:

Susan said...

I also don't like the look of young girls in high heels. Good luck on finding a pair that will work! BTW those wedges are really cute.

6L's said...

i still don't wear high heels! that stinks for all reasons you mentioned. check out the other goodwill and check the previos one again. surely they will have something. i have some dark grey shimmery spray paint if you need it!