Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Birthday

Even though I don't always like to advertise my birthday (another year older and all that), I do want to post it to show appreciation to those who made it special!

My birthday came on a Sunday, but it really started on Saturday when my dear friends (Linda, Tina, and Elke) took me out to a birthday lunch at Olive Garden.  I had delicious salmon, vegetables, and my favorite Olive Garden salad.  It wasn't absent of desserts either: raspberry white chocolate cheesecake and donuts...yum!  Even with all that though, I still have to say, the company was the best part. 

Well, as is becoming tradition, I had to go shopping that morning for a birthday outfit to wear for lunch (which I found on a great deal at Kohl's along with some other clearance clothing that I couldn't pass up).  We enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Olive Garden, and that would have been plenty, but they treated me to great gifts as well.

A beautiful decorative treasure chest from Linda...she explained in the card that she considers good friends her "treasures".  :)

And there was something inside too...a bead spinner which I can't wait to use in threading all those little beads included with batteries and all!  She knows me well!

Tina hit it right on the mark too with a gift card to Busy Beads & Moore and chocolate(which I couldn't take a picture of because it's gone).  They know that I love making jewelry!

Elke hit another of my favorites with this photography book which I've already been reading and learning a lot!  It is in question and answer format and covers many topics in photography!  Also, I'm excited to try out this cookbook especially for women.  I'm always looking for new recipes.  Thanks Elke!

When they dropped me off back at our house after lunch, I found that the house had been cleaned very nicely including the kitchen floor mopped and Eric had taken the kids to Rivers and Spires as a reward for getting their Saturday jobs done (the kids were happy and the house was clean...that's a gift in and of itself).  They had also gone to Cracker Barrel to buy the two black rocking chairs that I had requested for my birthday for the front porch, but they didn't have any in stock except ones with the army logo.  So that will have to come a little later when they get restocked.

Eric was planning to go to a regional Prom for our church that was 2 hours away and take several of the boys from church along that evening.  He had planned to ask me with a rose on Monday if I would go to the Prom with him.  He never got to go to his senior prom and he was planning for it to be something special for my birthday.  He wanted to go shopping for a dress and buy me a corsage and everything.  I guess I kind of ruined the plan several times, because first, I found out before he asked me, then I told him that I didn't want to wear a formal and I didn't need a corsage.  Then, later on in the week I accidentally texted him something that was meant for a friend saying that I didn't really want to go. (ugh!) I felt horrible!!  He was trying to make it special but I kept foiling his plans.

As it turned out, we still went.  I wore a dress from my closet and we took 3 boys along.  The theme was "A Night in Paris".  It was decorated beautifully and someone had created an amazing Eiffel Tower.  We were ready to get out and dance when we were informed that chaperones aren't allowed to dance!  That was a bummer! (glad I didn't buy a formal or corsage).  Anyway, we did enjoy our evening together despite the many set-backs.  We talked and ate plenty of refreshments and had a good time socializing with the teenagers from our church.  And the last 10 minutes, we were finally allowed to dance.  When the dance ended, we drove the 2 hours back home and were tired.  We had a hard time making it up the next morning for church.

Eric had planned to make me my favorite coconut cream pie for my birthday, but we woke up to find that the kids had left the milk out the night before and it was spoiled.  Oh well!  Tessa told my friend, Laura Richards, the sad tale at church about Mom not getting any cake for her birthday.  Laura offered to make one and bring it over (I found out later). :)  The kids and Eric felt much better that I would still get cake! :)  This was delivered Sunday afternoon:

The cupcakes were delicious.  There was something for everyone...white on white, white frosting on chocolate, coconut frosting on chocolate, coconut frosting on white, small and big.  They were all delicious, but my favorite was the German chocolate style with the coconut frosting on chocolate. Yum!  Thanks so much, Laura!

The girls and Jarem got busy right after church and made cute cards for me.  The one above is from Tessa.  She also gave me one of her chapsticks.  It was very sweet.  Jarem's I don't have a picture of because he made it on dark paper which made it hard to read.

Jesikah's was a thoughtful flipbook

Page 2

Page 3

The final page...Jesikah put a lot of effort into it and it turned out beautiful!  No gift from her could have meant more.

And guess what?  I still got the coconut cream pie and banana cream pie the next day!!  Eric had taken Monday off for my birthday, so as per my request, he spent the day building garden boxes for me.  Then we shopped for plants, soil, and got our garden boxes planted (more to come in next post)!  It was a lot of work and I really appreciated all of his help.  Then he spent all evening making pies!  He was worn out by the end of the day. 

On this day I also received a sweet card from my parents and Cindi & Steve.  Those were both very much appreciated.  I can't wait to go shopping with the watch money I got from Mom and Dad! It's always fun when your birthday lasts a few days! :)

The pie might have come a day late, but was well worth the wait!  In addition, I received other cards and many greetings, each was so meaningful and thoughtful.  Thank you to each of you who thought of me on my birthday!

5 comments:

Christie said...

WOW that was quite a birthday!! Your friends and family sure LOVE you. :-)

Linda said...

I am so glad everything turned out well for your birthday--it is way more fun to have it spread out I think. Can't wait to do it again. :-)

snapie said...

Your family is so sweet! Speaking of sweet I need that pie recipe;)

Susan said...

I'm glad you had a great birthday!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great day! Happy Belated Birthday.