Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Valentines Cookies and Doors

Since the kids had nearly the whole week off school before Valentines Day for snow. I was determined we were going to make heart sugar cookies one of the days before Valentines. This is something I have always liked to do before Valentines and St. Patrick's Day. Anyway, I did make the cookies and everyone got 3 to decorate. Eric wasn't really interested and wasn't feeling good, so he went upstairs to lay down.



What is usually a fun activity, turned into a lot of this..




And this... (I don't remember what she was crying about.  It was probably someone taking too much icing or getting more sprinkles or something).

They did enjoy eating them in the end, (once the fighting was over).  I am going to keep trying though.  Wish me better luck next year.

My friend, Nadia, who lives in Washington shared this great Valentines tradition on her blog last year.  I love the idea of putting hearts on the kids doors with compliments on each for them to see on the morning of Valentine's Day.  I was determined to try it this year, but may have forgotten if it hadn't been for two people: 1) Linda-for teaching me how to use my Cricut and making it fabulously fun to cut hearts with that, and 2) Ale-for giving me a whole packet of "heart attack" hearts to give to someone.
Jarem's Door

Tessa

Alex

Jesikah
I did the same thing for Eric's car, and he was pleasantly surprised.  I was a bit disappointed when he came in and asked if it was me or Jesikah that left the hearts.  (It is definitely something Jesikah would have done, but I just thought he would have known).  Then he felt bad and tried to explain that he thought it was me all along, he was just making sure he thanked the right person.  I am sure he would have known once he got in the car and read the card that was on the seat. :)

Eric and I decided to go out for our Valentine's Day date on Saturday night.  His brother called and asked him where that place was with the good steaks.  That got us in the mood for Longhorn, so we decided to go to Longhorn and a movie.  We got to Longhorn about 6:20.  There were cars everywhere and there was a 90-120 minute wait.  It was SO packed!  We decided to leave and go to a late dinner instead, so we went to Kirklands,(I had a coupon that I wanted to use to get something for the house), went to the movie first, and then went to a late dinner.  It all worked out great, and we even had a couple of friends meet us at the last minute for our late dinner.  It was a very fun night.  We went to the movie, "Just Go With it".  It was an entertaining romantic comedy that was light and fun for a Valentine's date.  When we got to the mall theatre, the line was backed up into Sears, but we waited and although we ended up being 20 minutes late into the movie, the previews were just ending and there were still seats, Yeah!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like an eventful Valentine's Day. Scott actually wanted to do something for Valentine's this year (which was a surprise since we never do anything on V-day), so we made reservations at The Waterstreet Cafe for dinner. Only we ended up being too busy and didn't go. Ha ha. But it was the thought that count, right? There's always next year! You have a Cricut? When did you get it? My friend Brenda has one. It is pretty cool. I want one now!

David & Viola Ricks said...

Hey---thank you so much for the pictures and valentine's messages.
You are always very thoughtful of us. We love you.

Eden said...

You are such a good mom! I love reading about your family and how everyone is doing.