Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Drive Home

The drive home from Florida went amazingly smooth UNTIL the last 3 hours.  Micah was happy.  The other kids were happy in the back.  I sat in the bucket seat behind the driver and kept Micah happy.  Alex sat in front while Eric drove.  I can't tell you how much I enjoyed NOT DRIVING!  Eric drove 100% on this trip, and it was fabulous.  I can't express enough how much I appreciated it.  Usually we split the driving about 60/40.  He drives 60, me 40.  I loved not driving!!  Jarem, Tessa, and Jesikah made rubber bracelets with stuff Grandma had given them for a good share of the time.  They even made some for Micah which you will see in some of the pictures below.  They stole my phone for awhile and took silly pictures.














Anyway, we followed Kyle and Jessica the whole way.  It worked out great, however, when it was time to split off, Eric went with them cause his truck was at their house, and the kids and I went the other direction towards our house.  That was when the hard part began.  I was now driving, and Micah was extremely upset that I was no longer in the seat next to him.  Jesikah sat there and tried to feed and play with him, but he just screamed.  He would NOT stop for anything.  This went on for quite some time and he would not let up.  I was flustered because I didn't know exactly where I was going and I was trying to help Jesikah calm him and it was dark so I needed to focus on the road.  

Finally, I decided if I let Alex drive, maybe I could calm him down.  So, I let Alex drive, which kind of stressed me out cause it was dark and I was nervous about him driving.  But, we did it.  Alex promised to be extra careful to calm my nerves (which I appreciated).  I took Micah out of his seat and sang him a song and put his head against my cheek/chin and he fell asleep almost immediately which was kind of sweet because he doesn't usually fall asleep while I'm holding him.  He had fallen asleep the same way another night while on vacation.  Anyway, I put him back in his carseat once I knew he was sound asleep and he slept the rest of the way.  However, Alex drove the rest of the way home because we didn't want to stop the car and chance waking him up, so I was still a bit on edge, although he is a good driver, I just worry.

No comments: