Thursday, February 7, 2013

Resourcefulness

When we had our young women gift exchange during the Christmas season, we had encouraged the girls to make a gift or do something very inexpensive for their secret sister, but most had just purchased something or their parents had complained about buying "one more gift".

Seemingly not being able or willing to make something on their own made me think that an activity on resourcefulness would be the perfect thing for the new year. I have always found great joy and fulfillment out of creating something out of not much. Whether it be making a new dish from leftovers that were already in the fridge or spray painting frames and creating pictures to match my decor. However, I have a friend at church who never ceases to amaze me with what she can create on a limited budget. She is really great at using what she has or buying something inexpensively and making it look amazing. I asked her if she would come and do a little class for us and show us some of the things she has made.

Then, I wanted the girls to have an opportunity to make something out of not much. Elissa had several great ideas of things to make out of an old t-shirt. So, the girls were asked to bring an old t-shirt. It could be stained, faded. have holes, be any color or size. She also brought a bunch of old t-shirts that she had purchased at Salvation Army for 25 cents each. After talking to them for a little bit, she gave the 3 ideas for projects: a scarf, a purse, or a necklace. Some of the girls tried each one, and some made more than one. I think they really were amazed at what you can create with something seemingly worthless.





1 comment:

6L's said...

Great idea! I'm always impressed with the things you come up with at Halloween! Thanks for sharing your gift and love of resourcefulness! And, I agree, Elissa is amazingly talented!